+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried about a Visa scam?

dh200

Apr 23, 2017
A fellow I met on-line at a language website wants me to send him an invitation letter as a friend. It seems suspicious to me because 1) why Canada and 2) I've only known him on-line and for 5 months. Although I did speak to him on the phone once. And he specifically asked me to get the letter notarized.

Questions:
1) Would I assume any liability if he did anything wrong here?
2) Would knowing someone only 5 months be pointless to invite a friend. i.e. is there a minimum time a Visa Officer would expect a friend to know the person before considering an invitation
3) Can anyone think if this were some kind of scam? I don't think giving my address to someone could be used easily for any type of purpose. i.e. like most of us, I get junk mail already

Not that this should make any type of difference, but my friend lives in West Africa.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Yeah, pretty sure I wouldn't want to send anything like that to someone I don't know on a personal level. Just to many opportunities to be scammed, particularly from that part of the world.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
And no invitation letter would help your friend unless they have the ties.

Yeah, don't. There's no liability, but you may have to send sensitive documents or information to support any invitation letter. I'd be more wary of that.

avs189

Apr 18, 2017
Imagine he gets questioned by border protection and you are being called :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

dh200

Apr 23, 2017
foodie69 said:
If I were you, I would decline. Just a gut feel..
Thanks for your responses everyone.

Yes, the fact that I'm questioning this is a bad sign in itself.

Our conversations seemed normal. I was practising my French with him. He hadn't expressed much of an interest in particular about Canada. And out of nowhere, it seemed, he asked me to send him an invitation letter. So I wondered why Canada. I'm assuming he has other friends in other countries. He said he hadn't visited other countries before, so it is possible he just wants to see the world.

dh200

Apr 23, 2017
bellaluna said:
And no invitation letter would help your friend unless they have the ties.

Yeah, don't. There's no liability, but you may have to send sensitive documents or information to support any invitation letter. I'd be more wary of that.
Thanks.

Ties to here or ties back home? I'm thinking many get a Visitor Visa even if they have no family in Canada.

I'd have to send sensitive documents with the invitation? I didn't think anything was required except my address and birth certificate photocopy. Although I thought things like a photo copy of Driver's Licence and Passport would help. Maybe I should be worrying more but I wasn't too worried about sending information about myself. It's more I'm questioning about inviting someone as a friend and I haven't known the person long enough. i.e. a Visa Officer would be like: inviting someone as a friend you've only known 5 months, that's weak

avs189

Apr 18, 2017
Invitation letter is not sole factor for granting visa.

Even if the person manages to get address and name of person living in Canada -he has to provide proof of funds and other documents to display genuine visit.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
dh200 said:
Thanks.

Ties to here or ties back home? I'm thinking many get a Visitor Visa even if they have no family in Canada.

I'd have to send sensitive documents with the invitation? I didn't think anything was required except my address and birth certificate photocopy. Although I thought things like a photo copy of Driver's Licence and Passport would help. Maybe I should be worrying more but I wasn't too worried about sending information about myself. It's more I'm questioning about inviting someone as a friend and I haven't known the person long enough. i.e. a Visa Officer would be like: inviting someone as a friend you've only known 5 months, that's weak
Ties back home are needed to ensure that the applicant won't overstay in Canada. In fact, having ties in Canada would actually weaken an application.

Your address and birth certificate are still pretty sensitive.

Yeah, go with your gut with this.

dh200

Apr 23, 2017
In general, should an invitation to Canada include a photocopy of your Passport? Is it optional, helpful? What if you don't include it, can you E-Mail the passport number to your guest? Is it possible the immigration officer reviewing the application could contact me directly and ask for my passport number?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a workaround this if you don't wish to share any information/documents with the visitor. You can provide an invitation letter that clearly states that you will email photocopies of your passport and/or immigration status in Canada, etc directly to the visa office.

This could delay the processing a bit but it would ensure that sensitive information is secure.

Or better still, perhaps you may want to apply online for him as his representative. You could ask for his documents + you won't have to share your address or any other sensitive information with him