+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working wih an expired p.r card

Knab

May 12, 2019
Hi there,
Can anyone shed some light on this.
I have been in employment since last year whence i had submitted my p.r card that had just expired 2 months before i was employed.
I am up for a renewal of my contract for another year, but in the job offer letter it is indicated that
" the offer is contingent upon receiving regular confirmation if required by service canada, of continuing eligibility for employment in canada. Furher contingent upon you gainingApproval of permanent residence from ircc within the time limit established by service canada or ircc"
Since my p.r card is expired and i can only renew it in december this year as i i will only meet residency obligations in December, what are the repercussions in term of renewal of contract and being reported to ircc as having an expired p.r card.

Thanks in advance for any advice

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This is more a question for your employer. Your PR status continues until it is revoked; the PR card doesn't actually prove that your status is still valid. Many PRs stay in Canada without renewing their card.

You've met the condition of achieving PR. However, if you are in breach of your RO, any application for renewal (or even verification of status) could bring extra review into your status.

So you need to talk to your employer. You have status. It hasn't gone away. It's still valid. However, renewing your card could invalidate it.

Reactions: Knab

Knab

May 12, 2019
Thanks k.h.p for your response.
Is there a way for the employer to verify my status?

JPBless

May 14, 2018
Hi there,
Can anyone shed some light on this.
I have been in employment since last year whence i had submitted my p.r card that had just expired 2 months before i was employed.
I am up for a renewal of my contract for another year, but in the job offer letter it is indicated that
" the offer is contingent upon receiving regular confirmation if required by service canada, of continuing eligibility for employment in canada. Furher contingent upon you gainingApproval of permanent residence from ircc within the time limit established by service canada or ircc"
Since my p.r card is expired and i can only renew it in december this year as i i will only meet residency obligations in December, what are the repercussions in term of renewal of contract and being reported to ircc as having an expired p.r card.

Thanks in advance for any advice
You are still a permanent resident even if your PR card has expired.

You are already a permanent so you meet the employment eligibility demanded by your employer. Your SIN number would indicate to your employer that you are a permanent resident. Non-permanent resident SIN numbers start with 9 and I believe yours does not start with 9. Plus you can always show your COPR (I don't know if some people would object to this). Expired PR only becomes a problem if you are travelling, otherwise it is not a big deal.

Knab

May 12, 2019
Thanks JPBless,

Yes they have my SIN number from my previous application.

I guess ill have to wait and see what comes out of it...

Thanks for the response once again

JPBless

May 14, 2018
Thanks JPBless,

Yes they have my SIN number from my previous application.

I guess ill have to wait and see what comes out of it...

Thanks for the response once again
You said they have your SIN from your "previous application" does that mean your 9xxxxxx SIN before you became permanent resident? If yes then you need to change that to your current SIN

If they have your after PR SIN that doesn't start with 9 then that should tell them that you are permanent resident. In any case there is nothing to the matter. Just let them you are permanent resident and that's it. Your expired PR card does not change your permanent resident status.

Knab

May 12, 2019
You are still a permanent resident even if your PR card has expired.

You are already a permanent so you meet the employment eligibility demanded by your employer. Your SIN number would indicate to your employer that you are a permanent resident. Non-permanent resident SIN numbers start with 9 and I believe yours does not start with 9. Plus you can always show your COPR (I don't know if some people would object to this). Expired PR only becomes a problem if you are travelling, otherwise it is not a big deal.
No, my sin doesnt start with a 9. I meant the sin card after i got my p.r.

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
You don't have any problem. You only need a valid permanent resident card if you want to travel and come back into Canada. You're still a permanent resident. Continue without any hesitation. You don't even need to tell them your card is expired. It has no relation to employment.

To make a comparison, it's like being Canadian, and having and expired Canadian Passport, you're still Canadian, you just don't have a valid Passport to travel.

Last edited: