+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in US and Living in Canada - Health Insurance Question

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
Hi Folks, We are Canadian PR living in Ontario. I recently moved to US for work on H1 and in the process of moving for good in another 3-4 months. The family and I all still in Ontario.
The question I have is we are pregnant and thinking of delivering the baby in US, I have my US health insurance covering my whole family. We have OBGYN and Doctor all set-up in USA. Our Canadian doctor and process also in progress.
We can choose to delivery at either place and would be covered under the Insurance of that country right? Any complications?

I am asking for 1 reason, Insurance asks are you covered by any other insurance and in our case we are covered at both places.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Folks, We are Canadian PR living in Ontario. I recently moved to US for work on H1 and in the process of moving for good in another 3-4 months. The family and I all still in Ontario.
The question I have is we are pregnant and thinking of delivering the baby in US, I have my US health insurance covering my whole family. We have OBGYN and Doctor all set-up in USA. Our Canadian doctor and process also in progress.
We can choose to delivery at either place and would be covered under the Insurance of that country right? Any complications?

I am asking for 1 reason, Insurance asks are you covered by any other insurance and in our case we are covered at both places.
Thats right, you can chose to deliver at either of the places! No issues.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thats right, you can chose to deliver at either of the places! No issues.
No true. If you plan on moving your child will not qualify for OHIP. You will be asked to confirm in the hospital that your baby will be making Ontario their permanent home, will be in Ontario for the next 5 out of 6 months and 6 out of 12 months. Part of the process of signing up for OHIP and have the baby’s part of expenses covered. If NICU at all involved that part can be very expensive. Assume your spouse meets residency requirements to qualify for OHIP.

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
Let me clarify few things, I was strictly asking about my wife and delivery and not the child OHIP. Now as far as residency we are residents here and have OHIP, the moving is still not done, I am working remotely for my US employer. I have already spoke to US doctors and hospitals and it’s all set and covered on my US insurance. They do not care about my OHIP. I will be taking health insurance for my child for few months we will be here in Canada.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Let me clarify few things, I was strictly asking about my wife and delivery and not the child OHIP. Now as far as residency we are residents here and have OHIP, the moving is still not done, I am working remotely for my US employer. I have already spoke to US doctors and hospitals and it’s all set and covered on my US insurance. They do not care about my OHIP. I will be taking health insurance for my child for few months we will be here in Canada.
They usually ask that questions in US, if you have a second or a secondary or a supplemental insurance. So in US you can for example, one of my friend, who usually does contracting, keeps a insurance which he buys privately. Recently he joined a company and now has healthcare insurance through his compnay as well. So he has kept the company insurance as primary and his personal as secondary insurance. So his medical claims first go through the primary insurance, then what ever remains unpaid goes through his second insurance, usually second insurance pays his copay or coinsurance amount. Similar situtation arises, if both husband wife working and both have helath covered through their work, so usually your spouse insurance becomes secondary coverage for you.

US and Canadian insurance, I dont think matters much, your OHIP has very very little coverage in US and vice versa. But on the whole its is better to have US coverage than just relying on Canadian health care.