+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for US based company remotely from Canada with PGWP

vibhav04

Mar 19, 2024
London
I have completed my master's degree from Western University, London, Ontario and got a PGWP for 3 years. I am eligible to work here. I have started applying for jobs in Canada.
While it may take some time to get a full-time job offer as I am a fresher, I am looking at internships and/or short-term contractor projects to add relevant experience to my profile.
I have got a potential offer to work as an Intern or Contractor for a US-based Company in the area of my expertise and I want to take it up.
I wanted to understand the following:
A) Should I take up the assignment as a Contractor or as an Intern? Company is flexible.
B) I would be paid in US$ into my Canadian account. How do I take care to ensure I am paying taxes due if any in Canada correctly?

Seeking advice

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I have completed my master's degree from Western University, London, Ontario and got a PGWP for 3 years. I am eligible to work here. I have started applying for jobs in Canada.
While it may take some time to get a full-time job offer as I am a fresher, I am looking at internships and/or short-term contractor projects to add relevant experience to my profile.
I have got a potential offer to work as an Intern or Contractor for a US-based Company in the area of my expertise and I want to take it up.
I wanted to understand the following:
A) Should I take up the assignment as a Contractor or as an Intern? Company is flexible.
B) I would be paid in US$ into my Canadian account. How do I take care to ensure I am paying taxes due if any in Canada correctly?

Seeking advice
Are you from the US and has valid work visa/permit to work for that US company?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you from the US and has valid work visa/permit to work for that US company?
Why would that matter?

If the employer does NOT have a presence, or a division of their company in Canada; does not have any Canadian clients; and would not be remunerating the OP in Canada, wouldn't the OP by fine?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Why would that matter?

If the employer does NOT have a presence, or a division of their company in Canada; does not have any Canadian clients; and would not be remunerating the OP in Canada, wouldn't the OP by fine?
I am not talking about Canadian work permit.
I don't know how the US company can pay him/her as an employee. I think he may be fine to setup a consulting firm and the US company can likely just pay for it as a service.