+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for a Canadian company while abroad with no work permit

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Can you share that LEGAL requirement restricting you from doing side gigs when you are on WP? Including one that restricts you to set up own business if you are on Open Work Permit
Most LMIAs(especially for tech or management) are closed work permits. Even when you work online, you have to prove that you not stealing jobs from Canadians. Think about something like providing design/tech/etc service business which can be easily challenged to be taking jobs away from Canadians - not what I work do, but just how complicated this can get.

• Wow
Reactions: Lord_Tony

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Most LMIAs(especially for tech or management) are closed work permits. Even when you work online, you have to prove that you not stealing jobs from Canadians. Think about something like providing design/tech/etc service business which can be easily challenged to be taking jobs away from Canadians - not what I work do, but just how complicated this can get.
If you go back to my question and Posters original post yesterday, he is on open work permit. If I may rephrase " Is there any requirement restricting open work permit holder from doing side gig outside of Canada? If yes, can you share for our knowledge. Secondly, Is there any restriction for open work permit holder to set up own business while working for any other employer in Canada? I hate to think or speculate, but I would like to read any guidelines on those two issues to avoid misleading anyone. I'm certainly there is NOT, and there's no restriction whatsoever on foreign-income source as long as you comply with tax requirement and or setting up any business while on Open Work Permit in Canada. I'm not referring to Employer-Specific Work Permit....

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you go back to my question and Posters original post yesterday, he is on open work permit. If I may rephrase " Is there any requirement restricting open work permit holder from doing side gig outside of Canada? If yes, can you share for our knowledge. Secondly, Is there any restriction for open work permit holder to set up own business while working for any other employer in Canada? I hate to think or speculate, but I would like to read any guidelines on those two issues to avoid misleading anyone. I'm certainly there is NOT, and there's no restriction whatsoever on foreign-income source as long as you comply with tax requirement and or setting up any business while on Open Work Permit in Canada. I'm not referring to Employer-Specific Work Permit....
Trying to find the source for not being able to work while on a temporary permit for a foreign employer with offices or clients/customers in Canada. If anyone else has the sources could they help me out. Thanks!

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
If living in Canada why wouldn’t you be taxed on your worldwide income? That is not an uncommon practice many countries tax your worldwide income. Some people do consulting and primarily have clients abroad should they not pay any taxes?
I agree what you say makes perfect sense when some countries don't tax or refund IT if one is not a resident, in such scenarios it makes sense to tax at home. I faced that when I moved from Australia to Canada mid year. ATO re-imbursed me the a few months of IT and CRA took the IT on my full global income Australia combined with Canada. I happily paid CRA their dues which I received as refund from ATO. However GCC didn't give my wife refund for CRA to eat which is where I didn't feel was fair.
Most of us negotiate wages based on market and livability post tax. Due to CRAs action my wife had to go and ask her GCC employer for a higher pay which made a bad chicken egg situation as their GCC government doesn't tax and thus the GCC employer are not obligated to give a higher payout as compensation for her loss with CRA. We explored multiple ways like numbered company etc..but finally gave up.

Last edited:

Netain

Jul 29, 2023
Hello, good morning morning I am surendra Tamang I am from kathmandu Nepal . I have 3 years experience in Hospitality. I need job. I hope that u will be accepted in me

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree what you say makes perfect sense when some countries don't tax or refund IT if one is not a resident, in such scenarios it makes sense to tax at home. I faced that when I moved from Australia to Canada mid year. ATO re-imbursed me the a few months of IT and CRA took the IT on my full global income Australia combined with Canada. I happily paid CRA their dues which I received as refund from ATO. However GCC didn't give my wife refund for CRA to eat which is where I didn't feel was fair.
Most of us negotiate wages based on market and livability post tax. Due to CRAs action my wife had to go and ask her GCC employer for a higher pay which made a bad chicken egg situation as their GCC government doesn't tax and thus the GCC employer are not obligated to give a higher payout as compensation for her loss with CRA. We explored multiple ways like numbered company etc..but finally gave up.
This has more to do with tax treaties between Canada and Australia and likely when you specifically moved to Canada in the year.

Reactions: Lord_Tony