+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit while PR in queue?

hallie

May 5, 2008
Hi all,

Is it possible to apply for a Canadian work permit while I have a PR application in the (long, long) queue?
I have seen answers in the affirmative, but they were all from around 2000-2001 and I just wonder if anything has changed.

If that were to happen, would I be able to transfer my PR application file to Canada and convert a simplified application to a standard application, or would I be better off withdrawing the existing application and making a new application in Canada?

(Given, of course, that a temporary work permit might just illustrate that I don't want to move to Canada after all; you never know.)

Thanks,
H

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hallie said:
Hi all,

Is it possible to apply for a Canadian work permit while I have a PR application in the (long, long) queue?
I have seen answers in the affirmative, but they were all from around 2000-2001 and I just wonder if anything has changed.

If that were to happen, would I be able to transfer my PR application file to Canada and convert a simplified application to a standard application, or would I be better off withdrawing the existing application and making a new application in Canada?

(Given, of course, that a temporary work permit might just illustrate that I don't want to move to Canada after all; you never know.)

Thanks,
H
Yes, if you get an approved LMO you can obtain a work permit. You don't withdraw your application, but update with a full package once you have a work permit that is valid for 12 months or more and the employer has offered to employ you full time once you are a PR. Read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG74.asp

PMM