+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit query/ v-1 visa

May 27, 2018
Good day all,

I am planning to travel to India in February 2024 and my work permit expires in March 2024. Would I have any issue at the border when I am trying to re-enter Canada. because my work permit would only have 15-20 days validity left.

I talked to a immigration consultant and they will most likely will face some hard questions and will most likely won't be let back into the country.

I also have a V-1 visa that expires in 2028. The consultant told me that my TRV even though it says it is valid till 2028, will expire as soon as my work permit is expires. I am just wondering is this true. He explained it to me that it was temporary measure during COVID. I would appreciate your guys help.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day all,

I am planning to travel to India in February 2024 and my work permit expires in March 2024. Would I have any issue at the border when I am trying to re-enter Canada. because my work permit would only have 15-20 days validity left.

I talked to a immigration consultant and they will most likely will face some hard questions and will most likely won't be let back into the country.

I also have a V-1 visa that expires in 2028. The consultant told me that my TRV even though it says it is valid till 2028, will expire as soon as my work permit is expires. I am just wondering is this true. He explained it to me that it was temporary measure during COVID. I would appreciate your guys help.

Thank you
Would find another consultant or don’t use one at all. You will still be able to enter Canada if your WP is still valid. Are you currently working? You may be asked what your plans are given that your WP will be expiring soon after arrival. Do you have plans to apply for an extension for example?

If your TRV expires in 2028 then it expires in 2028. Having a TRV doesn’t guarantee that you can remain in Canada and every time you try and enter Canada CBSA evaluates if you should be let in and how long you can stay in Canada even with a TRV.