+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work-Permit after 8-month Masters program

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by danishkh, May 8, 2011.

  1. Hi,

    I completed my undergraduate from Toronto a semester earlier than graduation ( Graduation: July 2009 , Completed: Dec 2008 ) and moved to New York. I have been working and living here since then. I have traveled back and forth to Toronto multiple times.

    I recently got accepted to a 8-month MBA program in Toronto, which starts in September 2011. I would like to settle down in Toronto after graduation and am planning to apply for a work-permit. As far as I know I am only eligible for a a 8-month work permit. If I choose the Two year MBA program, I could be eligible for up to 3 years.

    I was wondering if the time I spent in Canada for my undergraduate could count towards my work permit ? Come September 2011, I would have been back to school after 2 years 8 months and 2 year 1 month after graduation.

    8-month work permit is too short, plus I also feel employers would be discouraged to hire someone with a short work-permit.

    FYI: I am engaged to a Canadian citizen, but we don't have plans on marrying anytime soon. Atleast not until next summer. Also, don't want to marry just for immigration. But would be totally up for her sponsoring me as a common law-partner.

    Hoping I could get some help from this forum and whether there is a way I could get a work-permit longer than 8 months ?

    Thank you in advance!
  2. Hi

    1. No you can use your previous studies in Canada for a PGWP as you have to apply for the PGWP within 90 days of graduation.
    2. So without an LMO your work permit is going to be 8 months.
  3. PMM,

    I'm sorry did you mean my time as Undergraduate will NOT count towards the work permit eligibility after Masters program ?
  4. Yes - that's what PMM meant.

Share This Page