+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work and study permit holder

RM79

Jun 22, 2022
Hi everyone,

I entered Canada by study permit. I got my work permit via my partner (spousal work permit) last year before June 2023 and still valid upon end of year. I am still at school and working full time. I have two questions

1- my study permit expires soon, do I need to apply for extension or I can study with my work permit as it was issued before June 2023?

2- after 31 April 2024, can I continue work and study full time as I have both permit or not?

Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I entered Canada by study permit. I got my work permit via my partner (spousal work permit) last year before June 2023 and still valid upon end of year. I am still at school and working full time. I have two questions

1- my study permit expires soon, do I need to apply for extension or I can study with my work permit as it was issued before June 2023?

2- after 31 April 2024, can I continue work and study full time as I have both permit or not?

Thanks in advance
Are you sure both study and work permits are valid. The study permit can get cancelled if you apply for an SOWP. You need to apply for a study permit extension to continue your studies. After April 2024 you can work and study full-time if you have a valid work permit and study permit. Typically one is cancelled if you apply for the other one so you need to verify that both are valid and during your applications you should be specifying that you would like to have both a valid study permit to attend school full-time as well as a valid work permit to work full-time at the same time.

RM79

Jun 22, 2022
I did not get my study permit by my wife. We came to Canada separately. I got admission and came here and I got SOWP. So, this is why I have two permit. Your comment is correct in a case when someone gets study permit from their partner, if that person wants to have work permit, they cannot have both at the same time.

Thanks for your answer