+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will work as a caregiver

nonoy

Aug 29, 2008
hi, i am planning to work as a caregiver in ontario. my questions are.

1. how long is my work permit be? can i work with another company?
2. can i bring my family right away or can they follow?
3. do i am entitle to apply for PR?
4. is it true that there are rumors that canada will re-issue you a work permit(after expiration) and not PR.

thank you....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are going to work as a live-in-caregiver under the live-in-caregiver program, you will be working for a family and you will be living in their house (that is what live-in means). If you don't like this family, you can change employers and go to another family. You will not be allowed to get a job outside of your family's home.

I am not sure if the work permit is issued for one year at a time and has to be renewed or if it's issued for 2 years at a time. After 2 years of working as a live-in-caregiver, you can apply for permanent residency. The process of that is supposed to take about 4-5 months but in the meantime, you need a re-issued work permit so you can still stay and work while your PR is being processed. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/index.asp#caregiver says that your family can not come with you but you can include them in your application when you apply for PR and they can come when you get it.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
nonoy said:
hi, i am planning to work as a caregiver in ontario. my questions are.

1. how long is my work permit be? can i work with another company?2 years No
2. can i bring my family right away or can they follow?No No
3. do i am entitle to apply for PR?After 2 years
4. is it true that there are rumors that canada will re-issue you a work permit(after expiration) and not PR.Yes and No

thank you....
Have a nice day BTW are you a nurse,midwife by any chance??

nonoy

Aug 29, 2008
thanks for your responses.... my friends in ontario find me a caregiver job and they will start the process hope everything goes well with my application. i am not in medical field nor finished college.....

thank you again.....

celo

Jan 24, 2008
My daughter, now a Canadian Citizen and married to a Canadian, wanted to get her youngest sister, a newly graduated and registered nurse in the Phil, but no work experiences yet as nurse, as live in caregiver for their newborn baby boy, can she qualify under LCP even if she will not take her 6 mos care giver course anymore. Is there a possibility that she be issued temporary working Visa by Visa office in Manila if she has no work experience yet as nurse and no formal training as caregiver?Thank you...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She could work as a nurse in BC for a lot more money but if she want to help out her sister by being a caregiver, that's very nice of her. I don't think a nurse would need a course to qualify as a caregiver but what do I know. Have the Canadian daughter or yourself if you are in Canada phone CIC call centre and ask.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
celo said:
My daughter, now a Canadian Citizen and married to a Canadian, wanted to get her youngest sister, a newly graduated and registered nurse in the Phil, but no work experiences yet as nurse, as live in caregiver for their newborn baby boy, can she qualify under LCP even if she will not take her 6 mos care giver course anymore. Is there a possibility that she be issued temporary working Visa by Visa office in Manila if she has no work experience yet as nurse and no formal training as caregiver?Thank you...
Why doesnt she want to come in as a nurse earning a minimum of 25-27$ an hour,Why does she want to be a Nanny earning 8$ an hour???Unless She wants to help her sister,Such a waste,Why not get the temporary license in BC and start working as a nurse,She is qualified without working experience to get a temporary license as a practical nurse earning 22$ an hour.Sayang as they say in your language.www.ugnayanfoundation.com helps filipinas come in as nurses not nannies

undead_m0nkey

Oct 4, 2008
Hi all, I hope you can find some time and provide some help.
My wife is planning to apply for a work permit as a caregiver under the Live-in Caregiver Program.
She hasn't had any training but has had a recent work experience longer than 1 year with 1 employer, which should all make her elligible to apply. The problem is, she doesn't have an official contract with her employer, but he is willing to provide a statement or similar document confirming her experience gained during my wife's work for him.
Can anyone please advise us whether this will be enough and if not, what else is there that can be done to claim elligibility?
Additionally, are we right to think that she can apply in the embassy here in Belgrade, Serbia although she is a citizen of The Philippines but is legal in Serbia?
Thank you very much in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think her experience will be fine but she needs a Canadian employer before she can get a work permit, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-who.asp

She can find live-in caregiver jobs at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_en.aspx?ProvId=99&Keyword=live-in+caregiver&Sources=JobBank,Government&Student=No

undead_m0nkey

Oct 4, 2008
Thank you for your reply Leon, but what bothers us a bit is whether the lack of an official contract can be a problem to prove her experience. (We have already found a Canadian employer who is ready to apply for LMO).
The best thing we can do to replace the cntract is a statement (authorized at the local courthouse or notary public for example) by her employer stating what (full description of duties and tasks) and for how long she has been doing for him. Do you think this would be good enough?
Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I think it will be good enough. It should not be a problem.