+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will registering a business jeopardize my full time job under the PGWP?

baron_hou

Jan 12, 2015
Hi everyone. I am working for an employer in Manitoba under the PGWP. I want to register a business to enable my wife to transfer her business(She is still in my home country) to here. My question is: will registering a business jeopardize my job? It is kinda a key moment for me because I have just submitte my MPNP application.

If I can, then, can I put my wife (who is not in Canada) as the business' co-owner?
If I can't register, then will I be eligible to register after I am nomineed by provincial government?
Thank you very much!

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
I strongly advise you hold that thought until you obtain PR status. Considering that you are present in the country on a work permit, there is no guarantee that it will be extended and therefore no guarantee that you will be present to run the business - there is a probability that you will lose your investment. Also keep in mind the work permit is specific for your job and employer so any work on the side puts your employment and work permit in a situation I'm sure you do not like. You registering it with her as a co-owner will not be accepted - if registered as a corporation then you must have a citizen or PR as a co-owner, if its a partnership or sole proprietorship - I think the work permit will only make it harder.

I think the wise thing to do is be patient and wait for the approval of your PR application. Once you get your PR status then you can fire on all cylinders. That said, do some research on the partnership and sole proprietorship options (ask the right offices) though I doubt the findings will be encouraging but at least you will be certain to make a more informed decision.

mani1004

May 27, 2014
Hi, I came to canada on a study permit and now have applied for PGWP. One of my friend and me want to start a business while i also do my job(which i am looking for) so that i can become PR. My friend is a PR. Can I start a business with him as a partner. Will it affect my PR application in future. Please advice on this. Thanks