+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will i be allowed to enter in Canada in this case?

lalune2321

Jan 27, 2015
Hi everyone, i am PR, and i plan to return to Canada this year by March, but haven't lived 2 years in the past 5 years since the first landing. My PR card has still 3 years before the date of expiration which means i will have enough time to live and meet this 2 in 5 rule. :-\

So, will I be allowed to enter in Canada? :( And if this could be a problem for renewing my PR card in the future?

Thanks a lot for the answer!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be allowed to enter Canada but make sure you fulfull the conditions of PR. No point bouncing around like a ping pong ball all over

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
lalune2321 said:
Hi everyone, i am PR, and i plan to return to Canada this year by March, but haven't lived 2 years in the past 5 years since the first landing. My PR card has still 3 years before the date of expiration which means i will have enough time to live and meet this 2 in 5 rule. :-\

So, will I be allowed to enter in Canada? :( And if this could be a problem for renewing my PR card in the future?

If you haven't lived 2 years out of the past 5 in Canada as of the day you try to re-enter Canada, then you run the risk of being reported by CBSA at the point of entry for not meeting residency obligation. It doesn't matter if your PR card is still valid for 3 more year, you could still be reported if you don't meet RO. If this happens you can still enter Canada, but would need to attend a hearing with CIC shortly after to see if they will revoke your PR status.

Some would say that in having a PR card valid for more than 3 years still, there are much better odds you won't be reported or questioned much by CBSA, but that is not guaranteed and the risk for being reported will be there.

If you aren't exempt from the RO, then I suggest you travel with any proofs or evidence that would possibly show a H&C reason that you deserve to not be reported or have your PR revoked.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the customs declaration form (the one you sign and give to officer when you enter Canada) you will have to put down the date you left Canada. This may trigger reporting you for not meeting residency requirements. Most cases have gone unreported. If you are let in unreported then stay for at least 730 days before you travel out again.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lalune2321 said:

When did you land? 2 years ago? Or 8 years ago?