+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to start... work permit, visitor, marriage? Going crazy!

AZSvenska

Sep 11, 2017
I’m not sure where to ask this question, so I’ll post it in two forums. My apologies for the length… but bear with me if you can.

A brief intro about me: I am 33 years old and am currently in veterinary school in Arizona. I have a college degree and was an administrative assistant and then accounting manager for the last 8 years before applying to vet school. I met my now fiancé about a year and a half ago in Arizona. He is a Canadian citizen living in the Vancouver area. We want to do everything exactly right, but the more I read the more confused I become. I thought I’d have an easier time navigating through the processes but I’m finding that isn’t the case. Between work permit applications, common law partnerships (which we are not), sponsors, fast track immigration programs for skilled applicants, etc. I don’t know what to proceed with.

I’m not looking for anyone to do the work for me or spoon-feed me with instructions. I’m simply looking for any recommendation or nudge in the right direction, and it would be greatly appreciated!

My fiancé is in the film industry and has passed my resume around to his colleagues. I’ve received positive feedback from many people assuring me that with my accounting background, I should be able to find employment rather easily. This is encouraging but leads me to my primary question. Do I secure a job offer (hopefully!), apply for a work permit and work and live in BC for a period of time before we get married? Or is it better to get married and then make the move to BC? I know being married to a citizen doesn’t guarantee much, but I’ve read horror stories about both options and am completely intimidated by the possibilities.

I’d have a place to live immediately and a financial “sponsor” until gaining employment of my own, but I’m terrified of doing the wrong thing first or missing a step in the process that could be detrimental to my eventual goal of becoming a permanent resident and living with my husband-to-be.

As I mentioned, ANY advice would be so valued. We both want to do this the right way, I just wish I knew what the “right way” was. Thank you so much in advance!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Fastest / easiest will be to get married and have your spouse sponsor you through the spousal sponsorship program.

Getting a work permit tends to be quite difficult. In many cases you need an LMIA before you can apply for a work permit - the vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the expense and waiting time of the LMIA process (there's no guarantee of approval at the end). If your occupation falls under NAFTA - you can bypass the LMIA process but there's still paperwork employers needs to provide in order for you to obtain a closed work permit. It's possible you may be able to find a willing employer. But again, tends to be difficult.

Going through an economic immigration program will require you to do extra prep activities like completing a language test and getting your education officially assessed. You'll also need to get experience letters from your employers, etc. You can skip all of this if you go the spousal sponsorship route.