+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where are you LMIA?

CncrndCDN

Feb 22, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I am a Canadian, born and raised! This post is not about the negativity towards TFW's/immigrants as I've come across a lot of it. This is me trying to find answers that will hopefully help myself, my girlfriend and many others who come across this thread. I now have lots of sympathy for those that are trying to become Canadian PR's and the struggles they face. Long story short, I met a Filipino girl that's a TFW over a year ago and we've been inseparable since. I was fully aware of her status but I was completely uneducated and naive to think things were simple. Over the past month, I have done plenty of research into TFW's, immigration and how challenging things can be.

Three months ago, things were great, no complaints! As far I was aware, my gf just had to continue working as a skilled worker (supervisor in food industry) until 2016, where she would obtain her PR. Unfortunately a wrench was thrown our way... She was let go... for reasons I feel were completely unjustified and potentially illegal! For the sake of not disrupting her colleagues/friends future, I have not pursued this unjust termination... Regardless, I have been extremely headstrong and positive on finding my GF a job, thinking it was going to be relatively simple. Wow was I wrong! She has a non-open-Work-Permit until 2016, so she has time to stay in Canada, but she is unable to work until she finds an employer that is willing to provide a LMIA. Every day she hands out resumes locally... We've contacted a couple agencies locally... I've asked every restaurant or establishment that I happen to be in to see if they have a LMIA. So i'm looking at different approaches, getting a open work permit, common-law, etc.... A lot of people say, just get married... We both agree it would be for the wrong reasons and would be unethical. She's an extremely strong woman and wants little help or attachment from me when it comes to her PR. Which I admire! But I won't sit on the sidelines.

While she's legally entitled to stay in Canada for another year... Who would want to, to just sit at home and do nothing. For her own well being and sanity, she needs a job! Or possibly go back to school... but i know that's another conversation. So the big question.... Where are the LMIA Jobs? What are we doing wrong? Where should we be looking? ps... we are in Edmonton.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hi,
I think you should try placing this post in the Foreign Worker category of discussions. I believe you'll get responses there. The people in the Finding Work category are PRs so do not require LMIA for work so they may not be of much help.

All the best.

vark

Sep 21, 2011
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
4163 & 2172
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......