+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What will happen for a PR if he stays more than 6 months outside of Canada?

Adelshahnaz

Apr 16, 2016
Hello everyone.
I became PR since Aug 2013. My PR card will expire in Oct 2018.
I spent 20 months in Toronto.
Right now it's 6 months that I am outside of canada. I am studying in uni in Europe. I want to stay 6 more months ( totally one year).
I heard some news that if I stay more than 7 months out side Ontario, I may lose my residency. Apparently I will lose my ohip. But I don't know after staying one year outside canada will I have problem with Immigration officer at airport or not? I will come back at Oct 2016, and at the time of my entry, my PR card will be still valid for 2 more years( till Oct 2018).
I know till 2002 there was a law that if I stay more than 6 months outside I could lose my PR. But now apparently I can stay 3 years out of 5 years outside.
Am I right about these rules till April 2016? Did they changed rules recently?
Will I be in trouble when I want to come back after 1 year?
Will they ask questions, what kind and what should I answer?
I appreciate for your time and help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will not have any problems because of your PR or because of immigration but you might have a problem with OHIP.

You need to contact OHIP and tell them that you are now outside Ontario for 6 months and planning to return after another 6. OHIP usually requires you to live in Ontario for 5/12 months but they can make exceptions in some cases if you ask them.