+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what to say?will it work?an advice please

Tom1

Sep 26, 2010
:( I'm a permanent resident of canada for more than 5 years.i came with my family at beginning when we received the visa for immigration.unfortunately i was studying at that time.anyway,i traveled to canada and tried to enter canadian universities in the same field which is medicine.and because the north American system is totally different from what we have in my country,i had to leave back and finish my medical school there.i finished my education then came back and started all the evaluating exams of canada.im currently enrolled in one of the universities in canada ,doing post grad studies and i need to renew my PR card.i stayed outside of canada for about 1200 days out of the 5yrs.I dont know what to do or what to say in the Humanitarian and Compassionate section. :(i want to stay in canada bcz i dont have anything back to do.i spent a lot of money in my exams here.i dont have job,home or anything in my name in my home country.Would you advice me please about that.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Stay in Canada until you have been there for 730 days within the previous five years, then apply to renew your PR. Don't leave Canada until you have amassed the 730 days, or you might be stopped at the border. Canada will renew your PR as long as you have the requisite 730 days, and it won't matter that at some point in the past you were under the quota.

Tom1

Sep 26, 2010
I've been advised to do the same but unfortunately i need the card because i got annoyed of being asked to show my card to prove that i am a permanent resident.i need the card to be renewed?so ,what are my other options please? :(

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who is asking you to show your card to prove you are a permanent resident?

Tom1

Sep 26, 2010
believe me whenever you apply for any program and only canadian citizens or PRs are eligible for it,the first thing you will be asked about is to present your PR card with the other supporting documents.So,do you have any suggestions .is the humanitarian and compassionate section will work in my case?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Only someone very familiar with court decisions on H&C cases can advise you here. You could do your own research; Google H&C court decisions Canada.

Going the H&C route can be a complex, lengthy, and costly process, with no certain success at the end. By the time you finished this process, you'd have the number of days required for a normal renewal of your PR card.

So, although I'm not responding directly to your interest in the H&C route, my advice is to keep low, don't apply for programs requiring the PR card for a while, and then renew when you've amassed 730 days in Canada.

mika2

Aug 16, 2010
send them a photo of your old pr card , it's fine, an expired pr card doesn't mean that you are not a permenant resident , so send them a copy of the old card and a copy of your landed immigrant paper

but don't do the H&C thing

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
Only someone very familiar with court decisions on H&C cases can advise you here. You could do your own research; Google H&C court decisions Canada.

Going the H&C route can be a complex, lengthy, and costly process, with no certain success at the end. By the time you finished this process, you'd have the number of days required for a normal renewal of your PR card.

So, although I'm not responding directly to your interest in the H&C route, my advice is to keep low, don't apply for programs requiring the PR card for a while, and then renew when you've amassed 730 days in Canada.
The time after a person is reported for not meeting residence requirements is not counted towards the days of residency, unless they win their appeal.

Tom1

Sep 26, 2010
Thank you guys for the advice,really appreciated.And please if anyone has an other suggestion,do not hesitate to provide it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are asked to show your PR card, show a copy of your expired PR card and your landing papers. If they remark on your card being expired, tell them that you have already sent it in to renew it which unfortunately takes about 8-9 months (that is actually true).

Do not apply to renew your PR card until you meet the residency requirements again.

Tom1

Sep 26, 2010
Ok,then what are the possibilities of being refused to renew the PR card.Isn't the study considered to be a good cause.I had no choice and I'm sure this is the case for every new immigrant coming here.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you wait until you meet the residency requirements again, they can not refuse to renew your PR card. According to their own rules, they can not go further back in time than 5 years back from the time of your renewal application.

If you apply before you meet the residency requirements, they are in their full right to deny you renewal and deport you. They may not do that but there will be an appeal hearing and the whole thing will probably take a couple of years, that is longer than if you just waited until you meet the residency requirements and applied then.

Studying in another country is not a particularly good cause. Everybody has their own reasons. Maybe it's education, maybe it's a well paid or career friendly job, who knows. Canada changed the residency requirements a few years ago from 6 months a year to 2 in 5 years. I am sure immigration feels that by relaxing the rules, everybody should have ample opportunity to meet the residency requirements now. The instances where they make exceptions are usually if you have humanitarian reasons for being away such as taking care of a dying parent in another country or if you have humanitarian reasons for why you should be able to stay in Canada, for example a spouse and minor children in Canada.

Tom1

Sep 26, 2010
Thank you Leon for the advice and thanks for every one here helped me with an advice.please,wish me good luck.