+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What most i do to keep PR status length to stay Etc?

Banff2015

Jul 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys i am a long way away from PR yet i just want to know the new requirements as i know they have changed this year..
1) SO the new Pr cards issued are they valid for 5 or 6 years??
2) How long must one be in canada to keep Pr status?
3) How long must one be a PR before they can go for citizenship??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Banff2015 said:
Hey guys i am a long way away from PR yet i just want to know the new requirements as i know they have changed this year..
1) SO the new Pr cards issued are they valid for 5 or 6 years??
2) How long must one be in canada to keep Pr status?
3) How long must one be a PR before they can go for citizenship??

The residency obligation for PR hasn't changed. You have to spend at least 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR counted from your landing date. After you have been a PR for more than 5 years, you always have to have at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years.

The residency requirements to apply for citizenship have changed. You must have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 1460 days (4 years). If you have absences from Canada during the 4 years, you will have to make up for it by staying longer to reach your 1460 days in Canada before you apply. You must reach your 1460 days in no less than a 6 year period though and in at least 4 calendar years, you must have at least 183 days in Canada.

So for example, if you get PR today and never leave Canada, you would be able to apply for citizenship in 4 years when you reach your 1460 days. The 4 years where you've spent more than 183 days would then by 2016, 17, 18 and 19.

Banff2015

Jul 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Absolutely beautiful reply and explained so well.
Thanks so much a massive +1 from me. I actually have no more questions to ask on the matter as i have got all i wanted to know
Cheers :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks and don't hesitate to ask again if you want to know something else.

We are very knowledgeable people on this forum :)