+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is this????? Nonsense

Ced_3231

Dec 1, 2010
This is nonsense....

Why is it here that people who graduate and have some or no work experience do not find a job? Why is this?

I came here as an international student, and finished my degree and graduated. I am having a hard time finding a job, even though this industry is a good one. Now, I am a permanent resident.

I had a chance to get an interview from a good firm, but the questions that I kept asked were things like related to job experience, like what was the most responsibility I got, and he can see from my resume I only worked two days here and another two days there, one telemarketing and another game testing.

I was also asked things like hobbies, did you go to cuba, or things like this? What the hell man? I was too worried during university what I will be after I graduate, work permit and being a permanent resident, learning a new language, I dont think this stuff, at least not now.

What is this like, is it because people like me who were not lucky enough to be a permanent resident during studies to focus on extracurricular activities and being president council of such and such club, and being caught up with study permit and caqs and etc, and not travel to good vacation spots, and not entitle to a job? I mean, where is the break? Where do I start in this case then?

Nonsense!!

Even if I want to apply for example to loblaws, what the hell man, I dont have anything good to show. Where do things start?

I am right now, a person who somehow managed to graduate with a paper? What is this? I am sure there are people who graduated either from canada or from outside, but it doesnt matter if you have experience or not from outside, because you need to have a "Canadian" experience and then start at some profession.

I am not a non-educated person who is looking for a job, when I came here, the first two years were not allowed for international students, and then afterwards it became allowed, but I am in Montreal, and it is french and at that time I did not know good french so what I could get was a telemarketing and I left after two days and a game testing position which was a 12 hour shift weekend, too much. The only thing allowed before work permit for international students was on-campus university job. But to be able to do that, you have to be poor and show that your support is diminishing etc. I cant show that.

Again, I am sure graduates are going through this "experience", any advice with regards to this? Even if volunteering helps, it will be good
Applying through monster or any websites will be tough as some sort of experience is needed

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do have a good point - some HR interviewers are so focussed on 'their own questions' that they don't pay attention to the chronology of the resume. Some companies have policies that you ask questions 1-10 to everyone regardless of what their resume says.

On the other hand, to pass through the first interview, you have to 'play the game' to some extent. So even if you only have 2 days work experience here and there, realize that these questions will likely still be asked. As an interviewer, when I interview any new graduate (whether a new immigrant or not) I don't want to see exasperation on your face. I want to see and 'hear' how you can still pull out relevant examples to my questions. Yes, you don't have as much to go on, so you need to be twice as determined and focussed to show me how the limited experience you do have can be relevant.

All new graduates go through this phase. While personality and likeability to some extent will contribute to the hiring decision, you also have to show me you've done some homework and thought about the typical questions you'll be asked and with your limited experience how you can show me relevancy.

Here are some typical behavioural style interview questions. Not all will apply to all jobs, but what is important is to give 'specific' examples.

http://careego.com/CareerResources/Interviewing/BehaviouralInterviewQuestions/tabid/241/language/en-CA/Default.aspx#

Resumeshop

Dec 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Do not get discouraged! You are getting interviews, which means that you are getting opportunities to get your foot in the door and that is considerably more than half the battle. Try to anticipate the questions the interviewer is going to ask and then think of some examples from your own life that would answer these questions. Generally there are only five or six things a recruiter wants to know and the questions they ask are formulated to get answers to these questions. All recruiters want to know:

-Are you honest?
-Do you get along well with colleagues?
-Are you flexible?
-Do you get along well with management?
-Can you handle stress?
-Can you work independently?

Regarding your resume: If you have only had jobs for one or two days, these are best eliminated from your work history. Instead, try to play up related volunteer work, your education etc.

Best of luck!

Ced_3231

Dec 1, 2010
Thanks for the replies, I posted the first half by accident and did not know how to modify it. but please look through what I have finished. Thanks

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Hi Sorry about the interview. Interview questions are sometimes std, and with work stress on an employer they are human and sometimes do not have time or forget to model the questions to suit each individual at the interview.

When asked a question, about work experience which you do not have, just try to say... I have never had such a situation in work enviroment....but in university a particular incident occured (explain the incident/scenerio) and say how it was solved. Or a case senerio of a question you did in class or read in a book. Just cook but be honest in your answer dont lie you got work experience as your resume had already said it. They will be more interested to listen coz its all about liking you and how you will suite in their team. The reason you were short listed for an interview is because there is something they liked on your resume and that shows they already want you in their company. Just play it cool coz they already know about you is just you to bubble out. Good luck with next interview.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oi mamoo relax kar, take a chill pill yaar, we are all going through the same rough time.

Firstly its a good thing you finished your degree, secondly it depends on what subject you did your degree in. If you are finding a hard time finding a job then so are other thousands of people. Do you have any work experience? Jobs dont get served on a platter in this country, another important factor too, you are/were an international student and now an immigrant so it will be slightly harder to get government jobs since there is preference for Canadians. Also there is more competition now for jobs, people look for work experience and certifications in additional to degrees. Either ways you have to start somewhere, your frustration is ligit I can understand all the problems you are facing just keep trying and things will work out.

This is nonsense....

Why is it here that people who graduate and have some or no work experience do not find a job? Why is this?

I came here as an international student, and finished my degree and graduated. I am having a hard time finding a job, even though this industry is a good one. Now, I am a permanent resident.

I had a chance to get an interview from a good firm, but the questions that I kept asked were things like related to job experience, like what was the most responsibility I got, and he can see from my resume I only worked two days here and another two days there, one telemarketing and another game testing.

I was also asked things like hobbies, did you go to cuba, or things like this? What the hell man? I was too worried during university what I will be after I graduate, work permit and being a permanent resident, learning a new language, I dont think this stuff, at least not now.

What is this like, is it because people like me who were not lucky enough to be a permanent resident during studies to focus on extracurricular activities and being president council of such and such club, and being caught up with study permit and caqs and etc, and not travel to good vacation spots, and not entitle to a job? I mean, where is the break? Where do I start in this case then?

Nonsense!!

Even if I want to apply for example to loblaws, what the hell man, I dont have anything good to show. Where do things start?

I am right now, a person who somehow managed to graduate with a paper? What is this? I am sure there are people who graduated either from canada or from outside, but it doesnt matter if you have experience or not from outside, because you need to have a "Canadian" experience and then start at some profession.

I am not a non-educated person who is looking for a job, when I came here, the first two years were not allowed for international students, and then afterwards it became allowed, but I am in Montreal, and it is french and at that time I did not know good french so what I could get was a telemarketing and I left after two days and a game testing position which was a 12 hour shift weekend, too much. The only thing allowed before work permit for international students was on-campus university job. But to be able to do that, you have to be poor and show that your support is diminishing etc. I cant show that.

Again, I am sure graduates are going through this "experience", any advice with regards to this? Even if volunteering helps, it will be good
Applying through monster or any websites will be tough as some sort of experience is needed