+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the Nationality of my kid

oil

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Im new on this and i have some questions, hoping to find some one to help me to clarrify this.

Im a filipina married to a Canadian, currently my papers for PR is on process, we are living in Abu dhabi for 2 yrs already and we are planning to have a kid this yr and give birth here, due to our work.
If i will give birth here, is my kid will be automatically Canadian Citizen or Filipino citizen?

Waiting for an answer to anyone from you

regards,
Oil

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
Was your canadian spouse born in Canada or received Canadian citizenship through naturalization?
If so, your child can become Canadian even if born outside Canada.

If your Canadian spouse was not born in Canada, then your child will not receive canadian citizenship.

I don't know the citizenship rule for the Philipines, whether your child can have dual citizenship or not.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your Canadian spouse was either born in Canada or became a Canadian later in life through naturalization, then your baby has a claim to citizenship. What your spouse would then have to do is register the baby's birth at the Canadian embassy where you live and apply for a citizenship certificate. If your Canadian spouse was not born in Canada but gained Canadian citizenship through a Canadian parent, then your baby would not have claim to Canadian citizenship but your spouse could sponsor the baby as well as you for Canadian PR.

I do not know the regulations on Filipino citizenship.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
The child will have dual citizenship, Filipino, by Philippine law- jus sanguinis, you being still Filipino and Canadian citizenship by virtue of what the others had cited.

oil

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your replies.
It really helps.

My Husband was born in Canada. I really need to know if my kid will be canadian citizen, and you all clarrify it.
And i read from the Net , from philippines Law, my child will have dual citizenship.

Thank you again.