+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if someone waits until citizenship?

baristrue

Jan 20, 2023
Hi Dear Members and Immigration Professionals,

I’ll ask a question that is answered for at least a thousand times but I’ll change the situation a little bit.

Someone becomes PR in 2012 and leaves Canada right after getting the PR Card. He is never back and the PR Card expires. He applies for a PRTD from the home country under H&C grounds and the case gets accepted in 2018. After getting PRTD, he goes to Canada with this PRTD and applies for a new PR Card, then leaves Canada right after receiving the new PR Card. The H&C reasons resolves in a year but he still does not come back to Canada and waits until the PR Card is about to expire. 3 months before expiration of the new PR Card (December 2022), he comes to Canada without getting reported at the airport. Now,

• Applying for a PRC renewal would not be the optimal action to take since he is not in compliance with RO.

• Waiting for 2 years and then applying for the third PR Card is the best and the safest option.

But,

1) After staying in Canada for 2 consecutive years, would he be questioned about the super long absence between 2012-2022?

2) What if he does not apply for a PRC renewal after 2 years but stays in Canada for 3 consecutive years and then applies directly for citizenship?

Thanks and regards…

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1) After staying in Canada for 2 consecutive years, would he be questioned about the super long absence between 2012-2022?
Might get 'questioned' but if in compliance, previous non-compliance doesn't matter. More likely two scenarios are either just processed normally (if sufficient buffer and residency in Canada is obvious, incl things like employment/taxes/no foreign travel), or delayed processing and/or - more infrequently - more evidence of residence requested (in cases where there's no obvious evidence of residence/employment/etc).

In cases where it may not be clear that the PR is actually in Canada (and possibly other factors like above), PR may have to pick up card at IRCC office in person and be asked some basic questions. (These seem to go smoothly for PRs who are ... in Canada).

2) What if he does not apply for a PRC renewal after 2 years but stays in Canada for 3 consecutive years and then applies directly for citizenship?
No difference really, save that eg those who go through the process of getting PR card have at least had their file 'vetted' for presence relatively recently. I.e. perhaps less time/scrutiny.

Note that for the most part, in both cases, the issue of previous non-compliance is not - in and of itself - a central one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Dear Members and Immigration Professionals,

I’ll ask a question that is answered for at least a thousand times but I’ll change the situation a little bit.

Someone becomes PR in 2012 and leaves Canada right after getting the PR Card. He is never back and the PR Card expires. He applies for a PRTD from the home country under H&C grounds and the case gets accepted in 2018. After getting PRTD, he goes to Canada with this PRTD and applies for a new PR Card, then leaves Canada right after receiving the new PR Card. The H&C reasons resolves in a year but he still does not come back to Canada and waits until the PR Card is about to expire. 3 months before expiration of the new PR Card (December 2022), he comes to Canada without getting reported at the airport. Now,

• Applying for a PRC renewal would not be the optimal action to take since he is not in compliance with RO.

• Waiting for 2 years and then applying for the third PR Card is the best and the safest option.

But,

Thanks and regards…
Given your history you should remain in Canada for 2 straight years without leaving and then apply for a new PR card.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
I returned to Canada as PR after 3.5 years absence and sent in PRC renewal after spending 733 straight days in. Got renewed card in 4 months. I plan to spend 1098 days straight and send in my citizenship application. I will be leaving the next day. Will return whenever they need me for test, oath etc. I will just be moving across the border so traveling back is not at all an issue. I dont think its a problem. As long as you worked, spent time inside, fulfilled the application requirements, never broken any law, your citizenship app should be processed like any other file. Even if you have no intentions to return to Canada after citizenship, that in itself is not going to have them deny you citizenship just because officers dont like it.