Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2013
LANDED..........
18 Jan 2014
Hi Guys,

Read my husband's experience to what happened today with him:

http://shrutispointofview.blogspot.ca/2014/03/what-happens-when-you-quit.html

Hope this may shadow on the dark sides of Canadian Employers.

Shruti

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

s.gupta1487 said:
Hi Guys,

Read my husband's experience to what happened today with him:

http://shrutispointofview.blogspot.ca/2014/03/what-happens-when-you-quit.html

Hope this may shadow on the dark sides of Canadian Employers.

Shruti
Here is what the law is in Alberta

Termination notice
An employer must give an employee whose employment is being terminated written termination
notice of at least:
· one week for employment of more than 3 months, but less than 2 years;
· two weeks for employment of 2 years or more, but less than 4 years;
· four weeks for employment of 4 years or more, but less than 6 years;
· five weeks for employment of 6 years or more, but less than 8 years;
· six weeks for employment of 8 years or more, but less than 10 years; and
· eight weeks for employment of 10 years or more.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your husband is the one who quit so if he was working there less than 2 years, he only has 1 week notice, if it's longer, then 2. It is up to the employer if they let him work out his notice or pay him. For security and other reasons, they may prefer not to have someone working who they know is going to quit.

If he thinks they did something illegal, he can call the employment standards in AB, see contact info here:

http://work.alberta.ca/employment-standards/termination-of-employment-and-termination-pay.html

Contact Employment Standards

Call the Employment Standards Contact Centre for general information or submit an inquiry online:
◾780‑427‑3731 (Edmonton area)
◾1‑877‑427‑3731 (Toll-free)

If they agree that the employer treated him unfairly, they will help him get what he is owed.

s.gupta1487

Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2013
LANDED..........
18 Jan 2014
Leon said:
Your husband is the one who quit so if he was working there less than 2 years, he only has 1 week notice, if it's longer, then 2. It is up to the employer if they let him work out his notice or pay him. For security and other reasons, they may prefer not to have someone working who they know is going to quit.

If he thinks they did something illegal, he can call the employment standards in AB, see contact info here:

http://work.alberta.ca/employment-standards/termination-of-employment-and-termination-pay.html

Contact Employment Standards

Call the Employment Standards Contact Centre for general information or submit an inquiry online:
◾780‑427‑3731 (Edmonton area)
◾1‑877‑427‑3731 (Toll-free)

If they agree that the employer treated him unfairly, they will help him get what he is owed.
I agree to you and I am not asking why did they do this. I am happy that they actually did this. My only concern was that if by law you are required to give atleast 2 weeks notice to your current employer, then why do employers have to kick their employees the very next day. Are there no protection laws for employees? It's lesson learnt for good and I shared this not coz of a complaint..but to let other people know that give only a week's notice to your employer or else be ready to be kicked off...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
s.gupta1487 said:
I agree to you and I am not asking why did they do this. I am happy that they actually did this. My only concern was that if by law you are required to give atleast 2 weeks notice to your current employer, then why do employers have to kick their employees the very next day. Are there no protection laws for employees? It's lesson learnt for good and I shared this not coz of a complaint..but to let other people know that give only a week's notice to your employer or else be ready to be kicked off...
It is not always 2 weeks notice that you have to give you your employer. For the first 3 months, you have no notice. For 3 months to 2 years, you have 1 week and after 2 years, you have 2 weeks.

If you give less notice than you should, the employer might have a claim against you for walking out without proper notice and leaving them in trouble. However, if you give too much notice, the employer may want to get rid of you so they can let you go with the legal notice depending on how long you worked rather than let you work out the longer notice that you gave.

Say you worked from 3 months to 2 years and you have a weeks notice. If you walk off with no notice or anything less than a week, the employer can complain that you left them in a bad situation and that you did not give them time to find a replacement. If you give a weeks notice you are fine and they can either let you work it out or make you leave with 1 weeks pay. If you give more than a weeks notice, the employer can decide they don't want you around and send you home with a weeks pay.

If your husband had actually worked for more than 2 years, he would have 2 weeks notice and in that case, he can call the employment standards and make a complaint against his employer.

s.gupta1487

Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2013
LANDED..........
18 Jan 2014
well, being new to Canada one doesn't know these things.. We have stayed in Europe for a long time and there we were required to give 2 weeks of notice..however, I guess it's a new piece of information for all new workers/immigrants. However, it's a good lesson learnt.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In many countries in Europe, you have a much longer notice, a month, sometimes 3 and you would not necessarily be kicked out if you quit your job. It is not automatically assumed that you have a grudge against the employer if you quit and so you may be expected to stay your notice period and train your replacement and leave on a friendly basis.

Different countries, different thought process.

s.gupta1487

Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2013
LANDED..........
18 Jan 2014
Leon said:
In many countries in Europe, you have a much longer notice, a month, sometimes 3 and you would not necessarily be kicked out if you quit your job. It is not automatically assumed that you have a grudge against the employer if you quit and so you may be expected to stay your notice period and train your replacement and leave on a friendly basis.

Different countries, different thought process.
I guess you are right..