+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if you break up with your common law partner/sponsor?

Royal23

Dec 8, 2015
My boyfriend's company sponsored us to come to Canada on a work visa 3 years ago, me as his common law partner and we'd been together for 6 years at that point. We decided to stay and they sponsored both us to become permanent residents. We were accepted and crossed the border but then he ended our relationship. As far as I understand it I'm now a permanent resident in my own right but as we're now living apart and not common law partners could my status be in jeopardy? i.e. could I have to reapply?

Thanks for any advice people can give! :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Royal23 said:
My boyfriend's company sponsored us to come to Canada on a work visa 3 years ago, me as his common law partner and we'd been together for 6 years at that point. We decided to stay and they sponsored both us to become permanent residents. We were accepted and crossed the border but then he ended our relationship. As far as I understand it I'm now a permanent resident in my own right but as we're now living apart and not common law partners could my status be in jeopardy? i.e. could I have to reapply?

Thanks for any advice people can give! :)
The only reason that you might be at risk is if you became a permanent resident by misrepresentation, having in fact, terminated the relationship before "landing" as his dependant. Apart from that, no issues...

ifeedly

Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
people can go through a whole lot of milestones in life. ending relationship is a common Occurrence. Unless it could be proven that there was misrepresentation by the parties involved there is nothing problematic in this case.