+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does the condition PR entail and is there any government guidelines?

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
For family sponsorship conditions it says "If the relationship breaks down, the sponsor remains financially responsible until the end of the three-year undertaking period, irrespective of the cause of the breakdown"

What are the particulars of this? Is it detailed in any government guidelines?

I am asking because of my situation, and I want to comply and provide, bot because I am trying to avoid compliance, so be kind in your responses not rude.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chs2yyc said:
For family sponsorship conditions it says "If the relationship breaks down, the sponsor remains financially responsible until the end of the three-year undertaking period, irrespective of the cause of the breakdown"

What are the particulars of this? Is it detailed in any government guidelines?

I am asking because of my situation, and I want to comply and provide, bot because I am trying to avoid compliance, so be kind in your responses not rude.

1. If your spouse goes on welfare (social assistance) in the first 3 years after "landing" then you are responsible for paying it back. It is 3-10 years for dependent children, depending on their age, and 20 years for parents and grandparents.

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Thank you for your answer.

My concern is that she is living somewhere else. She can work and is able. Could she force me to pay her rent and then if I don't go on social assistance?

I have a home for us, 2 vehicles (she has one of the vehicles), pay for insurance, pay for her phone, pay for her food, she has medical and dental benefits trough my employer, I still pay and am willing to pay for everything. I just can't afford to pay rent somewhere else.

Can she just go to the government and say she left and I am not paying her rent and get social assistance?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
chs2yyc said:
Thank you for your answer.

My concern is that she is living somewhere else. She can work and is able. Could she force me to pay her rent and then if I don't go on social assistance?

I have a home for us, 2 vehicles (she has one of the vehicles), pay for insurance, pay for her phone, pay for her food, she has medical and dental benefits trough my employer, I still pay and am willing to pay for everything. I just can't afford to pay rent somewhere else.

Can she just go to the government and say she left and I am not paying her rent and get social assistance?
Yes, she can in fact go to the government and tell them she needs assistance. She can get this money and you will be responsible to pay it ALL back over the course of the next 3 years. You are running a big risk here because if she decides to suddenly 'claim' you have been abusive toward her they will likely allow her to keep her PR and you'll be stuck paying for it all anyhow. You should bite the bullet and report the breakdown of the marriage and then let the chips fall wherever they may. She might be sent back to whence she came, she might not, but at least you won't be stuck still paying for her car, insurances, phones, food and whatever else on TOP of all the welfare she collects for the next three years. You have to make the best decision for you, not for her.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also make sure you have proof of supporting her. Never give her cash. Keep as much of your communications in writing as you can, texts, emails etc. If you report breakdown of marriage and she tries to say that you abused or abandoned her, you can show that you were communicating and that you were supporting her.

Even if you don't report breakdown of marriage, at some point, immigration will want to know if she fulfilled the 2 year condition to cohabit with her sponsor. If she at that point turns around and says she left you because you were abusive, you may need those friendly emails and proof of supporting her after she left you.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Also make sure you have proof of supporting her. Never give her cash. Keep as much of your communications in writing as you can, texts, emails etc. If you report breakdown of marriage and she tries to say that you abused or abandoned her, you can show that you were communicating and that you were supporting her.

Even if you don't report breakdown of marriage, at some point, immigration will want to know if she fulfilled the 2 year condition to cohabit with her sponsor. If she at that point turns around and says she left you because you were abusive, you may need those friendly emails and proof of supporting her after she left you.
In case someone under conditional PR who is experiencing abuse reads this thread: In cases of abuse, CIC will grant an exception to the conditional permanent residence. One needs to call the Call centre for more information or visit a settlement agency ASAP. This information will be confidential and decisions to grant an exception to the conditional PR are independent from the legal process and legal consequences.

It is good for the OP to keep records of support offered in order to give evidence of good faith fulfillment of ones sponsorship obligations, but this information is largely irrelevant to abuse. If there are issues of abuse, copies of some cordial emails and proof of fulfillment of sponsorship obligations would not prove that no abuse happened and would not protect an abuser from possible consequences.