+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What comes first work permit or job offer ?

estella

Nov 27, 2009
I am a single mother with a daughter age 7. I was going to apply for the live in caregiver program but after much thought decided against it because of my daughter being with me. I have contacted a couple of nanny agencies one of which was very helpful. In there reply they said i can still work as a live out nanny with the family being my employer. Most families require the work permit before they will consider employing a nanny. I am sure i need an offer of employment before i can apply for a work permit ?

Can anybody please give me any information as i am now unsure where to go from here.

Thank you

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Absolutely right there... No job - No Wrok Permit.

Having said that, why don't u still apply for live-in care giver? U could land faster.

estella

Nov 27, 2009
Can i work as a live out caregiver on a live in caregiver visa ? This would help me out a great deal if possible . If not, how do i get around my current situation ? There must be a way to get employment as a live out nanny from outside Canada. I am in the UK.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
unfortunately not so. once u r a live in case, ur job is stuck with that employer. u cannot come to Ca and try a live out situation, it is not permitted.

alternatively, seek a FSW PR. U'll make it in a yr or so.

estella

Nov 27, 2009
Do you know how long its taking atm to process an application for a live-in caregiver visa ? and also will i need to apply for a study visa for my daughter to attend school ? If so, how long does that take and will her study be free like here in uk ?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
estella said:
Can i work as a live out caregiver on a live in caregiver visa ? This would help me out a great deal if possible . If not, how do i get around my current situation ? There must be a way to get employment as a live out nanny from outside Canada. I am in the UK.
You can try and look for an employer, have the employer apply for a Labour Market Opinion in your favor, and have a copy of the LMO once approved and fill up and submit the application. There are employers who are willing to wait for an overseas TFW. Search jobsites in Canada. The Canadian National Job bank is a good one to start with.

Under the live in caregiver program:

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), a live-in caregiver is a
person who resides in and provides child care, senior home support care or care of the disabled
without supervision in the private household in Canada where the person being cared for resides
[R2].

So you would be in violation of the conditions of your work permit if you worked live-out under the live in caregiver program.

As to your dependents:

5.11. Family members who wish to accompany a live-in caregiver on a LCP work permit
Family members do not normally accompany live-in caregivers who are coming to Canada on a
LCP work permit. Even when an employer agrees that a family member may reside with the
caregiver in the residence of the persons for whom they are providing care, there are no
guarantees that any subsequent employer would agree to the same terms. Furthermore, the
income of the caregiver may not be sufficient to care for and support a family member in Canada.
Live-in caregivers who wish to bring their family member(s) with them while they are on a work
permit will not be permitted to do so unless they satisfy an officer that they have sufficient funds to
care for and support the family member(s) in Canada and the family member(s) are not otherwise
inadmissible and they have permission to live in the home of the person(s) for whom they are
providing care.

So under the live in caregiver program, your chance at bringing your daughter as dependent is pretty slim if not nil.