+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the ways to ensure PR after 1 year of PG diploma?

Discussion in 'International Students' started by merwyn.xavier, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. I have been recently planning to take up studies in Canada and I have also interacted with many students from various colleges and they have advised me to take up a course in an University rather than a College. I have been looking out for relevant courses supporting my background (MBA-Major Marketing+BBA-Major Marketing and 2 years work exp in Advertising), I found few of them but they all required 3-5 years work exp or GMAT.

    I liked a course @ Sheridan College - Advertising Management, its a 1 year course and will lead to 1 year work permit.
    I would have considered Universities but most of them are very expensive and has very limited specialized course (especially for my background).

    What are the ways to ensure my PR after completion of my 1 year PG diploma in Advertising Management @ Sheridan College?

    During the 1 year Work permit period, If I don't get a Job in the first 5 months and the remaining 7 months I work fulltime, how will I extend my work permit then?

    Please advise..

    Thanks & Regards,
  2. As per the information on the 'Human Resources and Skills Development Canada' website:

    Temporary Foreign Worker Program

    Employment of International Students Graduating from Recognized Post-Secondary Institutions

    Under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP), employers may hire international students who have graduated from participating Canadian post-secondary institutions, to work for up to three years in a job related to their field of studies, without the need for the employer to obtain a Labour Market Opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC)/ Service Canada (SC).

    Following the completion of their initial period of employment authorized under the PGWPP, some employers may wish to offer these individuals permanent employment in order to retain their skills and expertise.

    Information for Employers

    Citizenship and Immigration Canada's Post-graduation Work Permit Program provides eligible foreign students graduating from a participating post-secondary Canadian institution with Canadian work experience related to their field of studies. Employers who want to permanently employ such graduates following completion of their PGWPP, for positions requiring at minimum post-secondary education or trade qualification, must apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from HRSDC/SC. Please note that the job opportunity can be offered by a different employer than the employer that offered the position under the PGWPP. When completing the Application for a Labour Market Opinion, whether applying on-line or using the fill & print version of the application, employers must answer “yes” to the question “Is the job temporary with intent to permanent?”.

    Employers must submit an Application for a Labour Market Opinion (PDF 768 KB) - HTML version to the Service Canada Centre responsible for processing the foreign worker requests in their area. The application will be assessed using existing program criteria. In cases where the employer is making a permanent job offer to employees who have completed the PGWPP for employment in a skilled occupation (within National Occupational Classification 0, A and B codes only), the employer will not be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts. It is recommended that the employer submit the application for an LMO approximately four months before the expiry of the Post-Graduation Work Permit.
  3. You can not extend the post-grad work permit. If you study for a year, you get a PG work permit for a year. If you study for 2 years or more, you get the maximum length PG work permit which is 3 years.

    If you are on a 1 year PG work permit, you will have to use the time to find an employer who wants to keep you in Canada. Before your PG work permit expires, your employer would have to apply for a labour market opinion so you can apply for a regular work permit.

    Another way would be to look into what programs are leading to immigration more easily under PNP, for example like this one: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERSAPPLY.html#_qualify
  4. Hi Leon,

    Thanks a lot for your reply...
    A 2 year course is a much safer bet when it comes to PR, but there are very few 2 year PG diploma courses available and the Universities are expensive and requires GMAT and good GPA.

    I had 1 more query:

    If I do two 1 year PG diploma courses back to back from different or same Institutes, will that lead to 3 year work permit? If yes, then what should be the maximum gap between the two PG diploma courses?

    Thanks & Regards,
  5. I think that is on a case by case basis.
  6. Ok, thanks Leon..take care
  7. I think you should try university of Regina, its in Saskatchewan, they are offering two years business programs, the best thing about them is they are offering 1 year Master Certificates in business, which can further be converted in complete master degree if you plan to study for 1 more year.
    Fee's for 1 year program is 6000$, also they don't require GMAT.

    You can qualify for Post-Graduation Work Permit Stream/Master's and PhD Graduate Stream for Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program.
    You need to fulfill certain conditions though.

    To qualify under the Master's and PhD Graduate Stream, an applicant must:

    Have graduated from a Master's or PhD program of at least one academic year of full-time study from the University of Saskatchewan or the University of Regina;
    Apply within 2 years of the date on which the degree was granted and from a country in which the applicant has legal status; and
    Intend to live in Saskatchewan and is able to demonstrate the ability to settle and work in Saskatchewan with at least one of the following:
    Have worked in his or her field for a Saskatchewan employer for a minimum of six months under a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) post graduation work permit or have a current permanent full-time job offer from an employer in his or her field of study,
    Have a spouse with current permanent full-time employment in Saskatchewan, or
    Have enough money to sustain for a short time without work ($10,000 for the applicant and $2,000 for each accompanying family member).

    To qualify under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Stream, an applicant must:

    Have graduated from a program of at least one academic year of full-time study in Canada and received a certificate, diploma, or degree from a recognized Canada post secondary educational institution;
    Have worked for a Saskatchewan employer for a minimum of six months (eligible types of work experience in Saskatchewan include on-campus, off-campus, co-op terms, graduate fellowships that can be verified by the institution, and work experience gained on a post-graduate work permit);
    Have applied for and received a post-graduation work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC); and
    Have a current permanent full-time job offer from their employer.

    So what im trying to explain is you can qualify for this program in 1 year and then continue at your own terms for master degree, and above all you don't even need to show too much bank statement just 6000$ for study and 10000$ for 1 year stay is more then enough.

    How is that sound any comments................................
  8. Hi Fahad,

    Thanks for your reply,

    As suggested by you I went on University of Regina website but I couldn't find the information stated by you earlier and they required GMAT for the Masters degree.
    Can you PM me the link on which you found the information about the Masters course @ University of Regina or email it to me on merwyn.xavier@gmail.com

    PNP is a good option, I've kept it as a backup..I'm searching for 2 year courses/programs, but its hard to find them as per my requirement.

    I had asked some consultants regarding doing two PG courses back to back to get a 3 year work permit and they said its possible..so I might explore that avenue too.

  9. Merwyn
    I can not post links here please explore following pages throughly, also contact course coordinator for international student fee's information and requirements.

  10. Thanks Fahad,

    I'll go through the links...My consultants said that its possible to do two 1 year PG diploma courses to get 3 year work exp.if thats the case then i might go for it.

  11. Hi Leon,

    As per the information below, one can get 3 year work permit by doing two PG courses through post graduate work permit program,

    To be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, international students:

    Must have studied full-time for the eight months preceding the completion of their program (please see note below) and must have graduated from:
    - a public post-secondary educational institution (university, college, or CEGEP); or
    - a Private post-secondary educational institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 per cent of its financing for operations from government grants; or
    - a Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees.
    - Must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from their academic institution that they have met the requirements of their program.
    - Must have completed and passed the program of study and received written notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma, or certificate.
    - Must have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit.
    - The program of study must be a minimum of two years for the graduate to obtain the three year work permit. However, if the program was less than two years but longer than eight months, the graduate can still obtain a work permit for the same duration as the program of study. In cases where a student has obtained a one year degree or diploma from an accredited educational institution within two years of having successfully completed a previous accredited Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma, he or she may qualify for a three-year open work permit.

  12. Sounds good Merwyn. Go for it :)
  13. Hi,

    This is my first time posting a message on CanadaVisa.com. I am a student of one year graduate certificate program at Sheridan college and I am planning for one more course (basically one year graduate certificate at Humber college) so I can get the benefit of 3 year post grad work permit.

    I would like to know whether this 1+1 years result in 3 year post graduate work permit or not. Moreover, I read that it is possible for degree or diploma from your website.

    However, I want to know about Certificate program.

    Please assist me in solving my confusion.

    Thanking you in advance.
  15. HIIIII

Share This Page