+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to move to Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never travel with cash but if any asks, I always have a credit card. I seriously doubt they will check the limit on your credit card.

Damn, I am unsure how many bags I can take with me.

The British Airways thing says:

Checked baggage 2 pieces
> Checked baggage policy information
Hand baggage Passengers travelling to and from UK Airports may take 1 bag, maximum size 56x45x25cm(22x17.5x9.85 inches). PLUS one laptop, handbag or briefcase.
> Hand baggage policy information

So I can see that that it says 2 pieces.

But with Air Canada it just says stuff about checked baggage here:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/checked.html?src=bagtag

So I assume that checked baggage is just the same, and it's 2 bags there for me too.

Also, you said that when it says:

For air travel within Canada, Air Canada is required by federal government regulations to check identification at the departure gate for all passengers who appear to be 18 years of age or older. The name on the identification must match the name used on the Itinerary/receipt. The passenger must present: one (1) piece of government-issued ID

That's just the passport, yeah?

Also Leon, on my Air Canada ticket it says I leave 20:30 (which I assume is the time in Toronto, it doesn't matter about me being a UK customer, it just uses the time where I am) and arrive in Halifax at 23:29 ... but I'm unsure whether this means 23:29 - Toronto time, or Halifax time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can take 3 bags, 2 to check in and 1 small one to take with you on the plane. For the one you take with you on the plane, you can not have any liquids. If you have toothpaste or shampoo or anything like that in it, there are restrictions on the size of each item and it all has to be in a clear ziplock bag or they will throw it away at security. Better just to leave that stuff in your checked baggage.

The ID is just the passport.

The times used on plane tickets are always local times. You will arrive in Halifax at 23:29 Halifax time but give your girlfriend the flight number because then she can check it online if she wants to pick you up. She can check it here: http://www.hiaa.ca/schedules/arrivals_ns.html

Thanks Leon. Looks like I'm alright to take 2 bags with me then.

I wasn't able to get a reference from work, but I assume I'll still be ok finding a job.

I'm not used to ordering tickets online, everything should be alright now though, British Airways want me to take card Airport for verification, so it looks like everything is paid for now, and the card's just needed as proof.

Thanks for everything, both my girlfriend and I appreciate it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope it all works out for you but I am sure you'll be back when it's time to fill out the sponsorship papers. Then you can start a new thread under Family Class Sponsorship :)

I am really unsure now whether I can take 2 bags on my first flight between Manchester and London.

On my 'manage my booking' page it says:

Adult/child allowance:

Checked baggage:
2 bags at 23kg each (max. bag weight 23kg)

So it says 2 bags there, however on their site it says:

Allowances for all UK domestic routes
Passenger Free checked allowance
Adults and children
(aged 12 years and over)

One standard-sized bag

So only 1 bag according to that. I'm going to probably have to phone them tomorrow morning, as they're only open from 6am - 8pm.

My actual flight thing I printed out, even says 2 bags on each flight, including the one to London from Manchester. However, when I first booked the flights it said 1 piece of baggage.

So does that mean that if I was just flying to Heathrow from Manchester, and not heading to Canada, it would be 1 bag, as it's a domestic flight, but because I am going overseas, it will then be 2 for me, that correct?

Also Leon, on my letter from Bunac I must show at border service official, it says that because I have stated I may wish to stay longer, I should tell them this. Should I mention my girlfriend or just that I wish t work?

And do you think I will be approved to be in Canada, as it says they'll check that I meet the requirements.

Mum, phoned 'em, they said I can take 2 bags.

Any idea about my other 2 questions?

Also, when I went last time, I had to fill out a form on the plane, about my trip. This time if I have to do it and it asks my main reason for going there, would it be for business?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Best not to talk too much about the girlfriend. If they ask, say you are going to Canada to work and travel (that's what a working holiday visa is for) and that if you wish to stay longer after your one year visa is up, you will apply to change your status to visitor. That is all by the book.

I think you will be approved. If they ask you if you have enough money, show them what you have and show them your bank/visa card.

When you were in Canada before, did you say when you entered that you were going to visit your girlfriend? If you did, you should also say now that you have a girlfriend (only if they ask) but make it sound casual. Do not tell them you are planning to get married and stay in Canada.

Well, they asked me and I told them we were dating, but it was nothing official at the time. If they ask me this time, I will just do what you said.

Also, the flight from Toronto - Halifax will just be a straight flight, I won't have to go through all border stuff again as this was already dealt with in Toronto, yeah?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, once you are in, you are in. You should not get any questions on a domestic flight.

Ok thanks.

The thing I printed off from Air Canada says that it's my itinerary/receipt and it has like a black/white box in the top corner, that looks like it can be scanned.

Is this the thing I take to airport in order to get my boarding pass?

It just says booking information and baggage rules etc...

Also, where I have printed it out, it's cut off at the bottom, but continues on next page, it isn't cut thought anything important, just the baggage information ... you think it's ok like that?

The same thing has happened with my British Airways itinerary too.

EDIT: I can't even log in properly on Air Canada, when I click to Manage my booking, I get a message like this:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Empty country component in 'value' attribute in <setLocale>
message:Empty country component in 'value' attribute in <setLocale>

Ok thanks, all packed now, first flight is around 7.15 tomorrow morning.

On British Airways site, it says next to my flight between Manchester/Heathrow:

Manchester check-in options:

* airport self-service

* airport desk

and then a box that says seating

but under my flight from Heathrow to Toronto, it just says seating ... so I assume that means, it's just a connecting flight at Heathrow and I won't need to check in again.

Got everything in my bag, didn't know whether to put my PS2 in my hand luggage, so it's just in my suitcase, and my other bag just has clothes in it.

Got my itinerary from British Airways so I'll just check in at the desk tomorrow when I get there, to save me doing it online, even though it probably easier, and got my air canada thing, which has the thing that looks like a weird square barcode on it.

So I'm all set. Thanks.