+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for PR travelling to US for work

akm2018

Aug 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the requirements of travelling outside of Canada while awaiting a PR card.

Before the working visa expired, an individual has applied for PR in Canada. However, the employer is requiring them to go on a business trip to the US where the individual will be travelling by aircraft.

I have read the PR Travel Document, as most message boards say to fill this out. However, the individual is not a PR yet, therefore this form doesn't seem relevant to the current needs.

Does anyone know the proper protocol that must be completed on the individuals end. As well, if the employer in this instance must complete any forms/ paperwork as well.

Any help and insight is much appreciated. Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
In order to board a plane to come back to Canada you need a PR card or a PRTD. You can only apply for the latter from outside Canada so getting one on a short business trip is unlikely.

So the only choice you have really is to return via US land border with the COPR.

What is confusing here is that in another sentence you say the individual is not a PR yet so therefore the above does not apply. So next question if not a PR does the individual have a multiple entry TRV or is visa exempt ? Also not sure what the comment is about a valid work permit.

So in simple terms are you asking that if you have a valid work permit, a valid TRV and a PR application in process can you make a business trip to the US?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the requirements of travelling outside of Canada while awaiting a PR card.

Before the working visa expired, an individual has applied for PR in Canada. However, the employer is requiring them to go on a business trip to the US where the individual will be travelling by aircraft.

I have read the PR Travel Document, as most message boards say to fill this out. However, the individual is not a PR yet, therefore this form doesn't seem relevant to the current needs.

Does anyone know the proper protocol that must be completed on the individuals end. As well, if the employer in this instance must complete any forms/ paperwork as well.

Any help and insight is much appreciated. Thank you
You are not a PR yet. Then you can use your work permit to reenter Canada. If your work permit has expired, apply for a new one.