+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for PR card. Can I travel with my TRV?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My PR card was stolen. I tried to use my American Passport to get on a plane, and one of the exceptions for Americans. The CBSA and the airline denied me, because the presumption is that a PR without a PR card is not a PR.

I am in the same situation now as I wait for a new PR card. I've waited for months. Without a PR card or PRTD, they may deny me entry to Canada, even though Americans have exceptions to the ban. The logic, such as it is, is that they won't treat me as a PR because I don't have a PR card, but won't treat me as an American because they know I am a PR.
I was only confused because you keep referring to being denied entry, but it seems what is actually happening is not being allowed to board.

They may have the same effect (if the only way to travel is by plane) but they're distinct procedures and concepts.

At any rate as the question above was originally about travelling from overseas. To which the answer is - yes, a PR needs pr card or prtd to board a flight to Canada and will be denied boarding without this (but entry at a land border is a different matter).

(Although this thread has meandered so if I've missed something, that's my oversight)

Sabariraj

Star Member
Jan 26, 2018
I recently became a PR, about a month ago. I am in Canada. I applied for a PR card but the wait time is 130 days.

I would like to travel outside of Canada for a couple months with my spouse who is a Canadian Citizen. I probably wont get my PR card before then. I have a valid tourist visa on my passport, can I travel with that? Or is it cancelled?

If I apply for a PRTD, it may not be approved, and I dont want to be stuck overseas. What are my options?
Hello,
My wife is in same situation, waiting for her PR Card. I'm a Canadian Citizen.
We're planning to travel outside Canada next month.

Can you please advise what you did last year. Did you cancel your trip outside Canada or went out and came back with PRTD.
You feedback will help us a lot.

Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
My wife is in same situation, waiting for her PR Card. I'm a Canadian Citizen.
We're planning to travel outside Canada next month.

Can you please advise what you did last year. Did you cancel your trip outside Canada or went out and came back with PRTD.
You feedback will help us a lot.

Thanks!
Found this in a previous post in this thread:
Regarding Process to Obtain PR Travel Document:

The procedure is usually a fairly perfunctory formality for PRs with NO inadmissibility issues.

Moreover, in general a new PR, and indeed up to the third year anniversary of landing, will ordinarily have NO problem obtaining a PR Travel Document. In particular, no problem in terms of qualifying for the PR TD. Only question is establishing identity (that is, documenting you are the person who has PR status . . . which is why identification and passport must be submitted with PR TD application). Up to the third year anniversary of landing a PR is for-sure in compliance with the Residency Obligation regardless the number of days so far spent in Canada.
It sounds like your wife should have little, if any, difficulty obtaining the PRTD. However, since she cannot apply for one until she is outside Canada and depending on how long you will be away, she may not receive it in time for your return trip.