+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Voluntarily Surrender PR Card

cmalton

Dec 15, 2009
Hello,

My father in law got his PR card about 2 1/2 years ago and shortly after receiving it received a green card and moved to the US. On his last visit to Canada the immigration officer at the border warned him that he might not be allowed back into the country on his next visit unless he voluntarily surrenders his PR card. I'm trying to find out how he goes about doing that. I called Immigration and no one had even heard of being able to do this and suggested that I just put the card in an envelope and mail it back to them which we obviously don't want to do for fear of it being lost. I also contacted the nearest visa processing center to where they live and similarly got the same runaround. Does anyone know what the process should be? He is planning on coming to visit in 6 weeks and is afraid that he will be denied at the border.

Thanks.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cmalton said:
Hello,

My father in law got his PR card about 2 1/2 years ago and shortly after receiving it received a green card and moved to the US. On his last visit to Canada the immigration officer at the border warned him that he might not be allowed back into the country on his next visit unless he voluntarily surrenders his PR card. I'm trying to find out how he goes about doing that. I called Immigration and no one had even heard of being able to do this and suggested that I just put the card in an envelope and mail it back to them which we obviously don't want to do for fear of it being lost. I also contacted the nearest visa processing center to where they live and similarly got the same runaround. Does anyone know what the process should be? He is planning on coming to visit in 6 weeks and is afraid that he will be denied at the border.

Thanks.
Two options:

1 - Have him go to Canada and at the border he will be allowed in (as a PR he has the right to enter). He should inform the officer that he doesnt meet the residency requirements and wishes to give it up. The officer may or may not report him. However, this can only be done after 3 years of being outside Canada. In his case, he is a PR for 2 and 1/2 years so technically he still can meet the residency requirements.

2 - Apply for PRDT at the a visa office abroad after he had failed to meet the residency requirements. He will be refused PRTD and will be give a chance to appeal, which he wont, and at that point he loses his PR status. This also can only be done after 3 years after becoming a PR and staying outside Canada.

He has nothing to worry about now. He will be allowed into Canada next time he visits. There is no way the officer can determine he hasnt met residency requirements when he still has 2 and 1/2 years left.

As for mailing PR cards, its pointless. I am not sure who suggested that but you definitely do not lose your status by returning your PR card. The status is what determines you are a PR, not that card.