+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Family- Biometrics only for 1 member

Dhillon96

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
Hello everyone,

I recently submitted visitor visa applications for my wife and myself to Canada a few days ago. During the application process, I answered "NO" to the question asking if we had previously given biometrics. A family biometric fee of $170 was collected. Strangely, only I received the biometric request form to schedule an appointment. Upon checking my wife's application, it states that biometrics are not required for her.

Here's what is displayed in our application portal:

For me:
"We need your fingerprints to process your application. Please check your messages below for further details."
For my spouse:
"We do not need your fingerprints at this time. We will notify you if this changes."

My question is: If we apply for a family visitor visa, is it sufficient for only the principal applicant to provide biometrics?

If the answer is yes, then why was the fee collected for both of us?

Could someone please help me understand this situation? Thank you in advance.
Biometrics are needed for every applicant who will be entering Canada as it is the process needed to be done before processing the file as it’s helpful in checking background information, also its quite normal that when two or more applicants applied together, there might be delay in getting BIL, wait for another 5-6 days, hopefully you will get before that, otherwise call IRCC.