+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa denied

KevinLQ

May 7, 2018
Hello,

My brother and his wife's vistor Visa just got denied on the following reasons. My brother is main applicant.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status
I have a feeling the 3rd reason was because I didn't attach enough information on his personal assets such as his home and car. But what about the first two points?
  • He has never traveled outside his home country before, therefore has no "travel history". What do I need to correct here? I don't see what else to write in this section? The only thing I can think of is possibly making his wife the main applicant, because she has extensive international travel history, but is this even allowed?
  • He and his wife are coming over to visit us, and will be staying with us for the duration, which is exactly what I wrote. Why was this reason rejected? I know this makes people think that they might "stay with us and not go back home", but what else am I supposed to write? We can't provide proof of plane ticket because why would we buy tickets before Visa has been approved?
  • I will attach much more financial info/personal assets this time. Do you have any suggestions besides home, car, stocks/funds?
Other info and concerns:
  • Both he and his wife are retired. Do I simply say that, or provide proof of their past employment? I simply said they're retired for this rejected application
  • They will be staying for about a month, but no hard dates have been set for the same reason as plane tickets above, because their travel duration will be based on when the return flight is
  • I did not get any notice of any cooldown period before next application. I can apply immediately?
  • Is there anything else I can use to "reinforce their ties to their home country"? They care for our parents in their home country, do I need an affidavit for this?
  • This rejection is obviously based on lack of documents provided and not something serious like forgery. Is this going to put my brother's family on the "blacklist" and hurt their future success chance?
  • Is there any appeal procedure, or do I simply have to pay the fee again and start a new appilcation?
  • Is it too late to get travel agency to do it for us? In this application we provided an invitation letter, so I assume we should still go the "visiting by invitation" route instead of "travelling with vacation agency"?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
Hello,

My brother and his wife's vistor Visa just got denied on the following reasons. My brother is main applicant.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status
I have a feeling the 3rd reason was because I didn't attach enough information on his personal assets such as his home and car. But what about the first two points?
  • He has never traveled outside his home country before, therefore has no "travel history". What do I need to correct here? I don't see what else to write in this section? The only thing I can think of is possibly making his wife the main applicant, because she has extensive international travel history, but is this even allowed?
  • He and his wife are coming over to visit us, and will be staying with us for the duration, which is exactly what I wrote. Why was this reason rejected? I know this makes people think that they might "stay with us and not go back home", but what else am I supposed to write? We can't provide proof of plane ticket because why would we buy tickets before Visa has been approved?
  • I will attach much more financial info/personal assets this time. Do you have any suggestions besides home, car, stocks/funds?
Other info and concerns:
  • Both he and his wife are retired. Do I simply say that, or provide proof of their past employment? I simply said they're retired for this rejected application
  • They will be staying for about a month, but no hard dates have been set for the same reason as plane tickets above, because their travel duration will be based on when the return flight is
  • I did not get any notice of any cooldown period before next application. I can apply immediately?
  • Is there anything else I can use to "reinforce their ties to their home country"? They care for our parents in their home country, do I need an affidavit for this?
  • This rejection is obviously based on lack of documents provided and not something serious like forgery. Is this going to put my brother's family on the "blacklist" and hurt their future success chance?
  • Is there any appeal procedure, or do I simply have to pay the fee again and start a new appilcation?
  • Is it too late to get travel agency to do it for us? In this application we provided an invitation letter, so I assume we should still go the "visiting by invitation" route instead of "travelling with vacation agency"?
Thanks.
The application was rejected for the reasons you stated yourself. I would submit a new application with adjustments you mentioned.
- don't lie about their current status - they are retired and that's it. No point to try to find other explanation.
- your brother and his wife are retired - no ties to go back to their home country. If you can get an affidavit or other document that they will have to go back to tend to elderly parents it would definitely help. Do they have children/grandchildren that are still in their country?
- immigration wants to see the return date - personally I think you/they should buy return tickets. That will show that they intend to leave Canada and not stay forever. If application is rejected, you can cancel the tickets.
- financials - they have to have enough money to support themselves while in Canada. If you don't have tickets with dates to show how long they will exactly stay in Canada, there is no way to determine how much money they needto have. You could also support them financially, so you could submit your bank statements etc. as additional documents
- They won't be blacklisted - there is no such thing. Circumstances of person can change in a day, so new application will be considered and processed differently (it could be processed by a different officer). The only difference is, you will have to indicate in the question "have you ever been denied visa to enter Canada" that original application was rejected and explain why.
- I'm not sure how it works in the country they are travelling from, but I never heard of travel agency helping with immigration procedures. If you meant that they will buy organised trip to Canada, then they would have to stick with that and not stay with you (that would be providing false information)
- I wouldn't go with appeal. You would need to know court procedures and know how to write a motion etc. If you are not a lawyer I wouldn't advise that.

That's just what I think would help. I'm not a professional. If you have money to spend, you could hire an Immigration Lawyer to help you out.
But that doesn't guarantee getting visa anyway (I worked for one long time ago and some applications were still rejected).

I hope you will be able to bring your family over and your next application will be approved.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
He has never traveled outside his home country before, therefore has no "travel history". What do I need to correct here?
An applicant either has Travel History or doesn't. And, there are first time travelers.

Travel History would include travel to countries such as the US, UK, EU, Australia, NZ, etc.... and not to Singapore, UAE, Thailand, countries that do not have stringent visa processes.

I don't see what else to write in this section? The only thing I can think of is possibly making his wife the main applicant, because she has extensive international travel history, but is this even allowed?
It does not matter who is the main applicant. Each application is evaluated for its individual merits.

He and his wife are coming over to visit us, and will be staying with us for the duration, which is exactly what I wrote. Why was this reason rejected? I know this makes people think that they might "stay with us and not go back home", but what else am I supposed to write? We can't provide proof of plane ticket because why would we buy tickets before Visa has been approved?
It is never a good idea to buy any tickets before visas are issued. Tickets (even refundable ones) do NOT guarantee or help to get visas.

I will attach much more financial info/personal assets this time. Do you have any suggestions besides home, car, stocks/funds?
Your brother and his wife must demonstrate other individual/collective strong ties to prove they are genuine, short-term visitors.

It depends on their circumstances:
1. Property or land ownership or a lease in their names
2. Dependent family members such as dependent elderly parents and/or unmarried children who live with them
3. Good financial situation without borrowing from anyone + without financially depending on you for their visit
4. Employment/business
5. Pension, including renewal
6. Volunteering for charity or social causes
7. Some commitments that compel them to return home by a specific date

Both he and his wife are retired. Do I simply say that, or provide proof of their past employment? I simply said they're retired for this rejected application
They must provide their employment details for the last 10 years in the form, including for retirement.

Proof of past employment is not required. It would help if they have some employment/ business to return to currently.

They will be staying for about a month, but no hard dates have been set for the same reason as plane tickets above, because their travel duration will be based on when the return flight is
Their visit cannot be open ended. You need to show a finite, short, well-thought out visit with a detailed day-by-day plan of what they would be doing (sightseeing, activities, etc) with expense estimates.

Unfortunately, being retired, means their active ties to return home to are zero = Possibility of over staying

I did not get any notice of any cooldown period before next application. I can apply immediately?
You can reapply immediately. But that's not a good idea. You would want to demonstrate that they have overcome the refusal reasons + include better/more evidence of their strong ties, finances, etc

Is there anything else I can use to "reinforce their ties to their home country"? They care for our parents in their home country, do I need an affidavit for this?
Affidavits do not work and are a waste of money. Hard evidence counts.

They would need to include evidence that your parents live at the same address as themselves + evidence of taking care of your parents (pay the rent, utilities, medical insurance, doctors' visits, medical tests, any reason scheduled after their intended visit, etc)

This rejection is obviously based on lack of documents provided and not something serious like forgery. Is this going to put my brother's family on the "blacklist" and hurt their future success chance?
No

Is there any appeal procedure, or do I simply have to pay the fee again and start a new appilcation?
These are straight forward refusal cases for which it would be impossible for you to prove that the visa officer made an administrative/assessment error (which is necessary for an appeal).

New applications. New visa fees.

Is it too late to get travel agency to do it for us? In this application we provided an invitation letter, so I assume we should still go the "visiting by invitation" route instead of "travelling with vacation agency"
Travel agencies and/or organized tours won't change the visa decision. Again, only hard evidence works regardless of how they apply.

Also, going the organized tours route would not convince the visa officer because they have relatives (yourself) to visit.

Lawyers and consultants, too, aren't able to work visa miracles. It would be a unnecessary expense. It's all down to how well you present their applications

Last edited: