+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VISA and Permanent Resident Card

fej

Dec 13, 2009
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I was actuated to join this group to look for help as well as to help.

I received my immigrant visa, together with my confirmation of residence certificate, last nov. 28, 2009, here in Japan. I applied to the Canadian embassy when I was in the Philippines last year. My visa will expire next year, on sep 16, 2010. Now, I had the plan to go in Canada on last week of March 2010. However, I need to exit Canada after a week, because I am studying in Japan, taking up my PhD degree and the start of a new term where I am enrolled is on April 1. SO I better be back in Japan by that time.

My question is, if I exit Canada after a week...will I be able to return again? Because I just need to finish my studies before I can stay in Canada for good. What would be the requirements so that I can return after exiting? Should I get a permanent resident card (PRC)? or the confirmation of residence certificate will do? If I should get a PRC? will I be able to get one, within a week of my stay in Canada?

I would really appreciate it if you could find time to enlighten me on these issues, guys! And if you have questions how I got my visa, you are most welcome!
Thank you very much in advance.
Godbless you all. :D

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,
you can exit any time from Canada but cannot re-enter without a PR Card. The visa in the passport and copy of CPR are not valid for re-entry. So the best way is to get the PR Card and leave the country. It may take 4 to 6 weeks to receive the PR Card.

fej

Dec 13, 2009
thank you wilson for your immediate response.
Now, i understand that I have to get a PRC to be able to re-enter Canada.

MY follow-up question is this, is there anyway I can get PRC within a week? Or can I just ask somebody, let`s say a relative who is also living in Canada, to pick it up for me and send it to me here in Japan? I really have to go back to Japan after a week because I have to attend classes....

Thank you! :D

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No you can't get your PR card in a week the timelines is 4-6 weeks. Yes you can give your relatives address and once they get it they can post it to you in Japan.

fej

Dec 13, 2009
Hi Nicholas!

Thank you very much for your reply! :) Now, I can have peace of mind. I will apply for PRC card then I will just ask my uncle who is already a residence there to get it and send it to me in Japan.

Merci Beacoup!

Godbless! :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you land as a PR, you have to give your uncles address as the address you will be staying at. If they ask you how long you are staying or if you will actually be at that address when the PR card is mailed there and you tell them no, they may decide not to let you use that address. If they do that, what you can try is after you are inside Canada, fax a form to immigration with your uncles address again and ask for the PR card to be mailed there. When your uncle gets the PR card, he can mail it to you where you are.

If something goes wrong and you end up outside Canada without a PR card, you can talk to the Canadian embassy about applying for a PR travel document.

TbilisiAnkara

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS ADVICE.
Either you have your PR card or you will have to apply for a PR travel document at the Canadian Embassy in Tokyo. Needless to say that it can be time and money consuming. Play safe - stay in Canada until you have your PR card.

Leon said:
When you land as a PR, you have to give your uncles address as the address you will be staying at. If they ask you how long you are staying or if you will actually be at that address when the PR card is mailed there and you tell them no, they may decide not to let you use that address. If they do that, what you can try is after you are inside Canada, fax a form to immigration with your uncles address again and ask for the PR card to be mailed there. When your uncle gets the PR card, he can mail it to you where you are.

If something goes wrong and you end up outside Canada without a PR card, you can talk to the Canadian embassy about applying for a PR travel document.