+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver. My girlfriend is Canadian and im British.....

liam_bulloch

Feb 2, 2011
Looking for some advice :)

My girlfriend is Canadian, left the country at the age of one and hasn't returned since.

To cut a long story short, her dad has been offered a job in Vancouver [up to 2yrs] and is jumping at the opportunity.
He lived there for a number of years, around 20yrs ago and also had Canadian citizenship.

Anyway...

Come April, me and the missus are looking to go.

Her dad said we can stay with him for as long as we like.
We were debating a few months, therefore we will need work.
For her, i suspect no issues?
For me though, i need advice!

What VISA do i apply for/job advice etc?

Nb - I am not a skilled worker or degree qualified.

Thanking in advance.

Liam.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can look into a BUNAC visa: http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No idea. A friend of mine was unemployed in Vancouver some time ago and he said he tried applying for everything, even McDonalds but nobody would give him a job because he did not have related experience. If you have bar experience, I am sure it is easier. I am sure you can find something.

liam_bulloch

Feb 2, 2011
thanks mate. i appreciate your help.

i've worked in the banking sector [call centre] for the past 6 years. i believe they're a quite popular choice in van?

Krrrsty

Aug 31, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-08-2011
Hi Liam

I have been here for 5 years and started out looking for bar work too - you need something called "serve it right" if you want to get anywhere with most places.... look it up online..
I would suggest though that you sign up with an agency and find some other kind of 9-5 work.. bar work is very competitive and very hard to come by as the tips are so good!!!
Also look at craigslist.org - most employers post jobs on there.. if you DO go via BUNAC, they also have a jobs board in their office and free access to computers for members. Just make sure you apply for a SIN number as soon as you arrive, it's like our National Insurance card: noone will employ you without that!

Good luck!