+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US green card status due to landing in Canada for PR

chandu_rck

May 13, 2019
HI ,
Is getting Canada pr considered as abandonment of US green card and does green card gets cancelled?Appreciate your help on this.I understand maintaining residency in both country is a different question.But does just only landing in Canada for pr and not actually moving there would impact the Green card is my question. If I land in Canda and go back to US in a day ,does the US immigration stops me entering US and can they cancel my green card?
Also Does having Canada PR(primary residency is still US) impacts US citizenship application later? Thanks!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HI ,
Is getting Canada pr considered as abandonment of US green card and does green card gets cancelled?Appreciate your help on this.I understand maintaining residency in both country is a different question.But does just only landing in Canada for pr and not actually moving there would impact the Green card is my question. If I land in Canda and go back to US in a day ,does the US immigration stops me entering US and can they cancel my green card?
Also Does having Canada PR(primary residency is still US) impacts US citizenship application later? Thanks!
Getting PR isn’t abandonment of your green card. In general the US wants people to only have temporary status in the US. Many get pressured or questioned as to why they need status elsewhere if they have been granted a green card. As long as you meet the green card requirements you are fine.

Reactions: chandu_rck