+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Question

Canadianspirit

Feb 2, 2017
Hello I am hoping for help and guidance. I am almost 37 weeks pregnant with twins..high BP issues.. high risk pregnancy and those are precious babies after struggling to conceive for 5 years. Just made it to Toronto few days ago and will need to arrange for a C section ASAP. I have PR but no health insurance card and willing to pay out of pocket. I just need guidance on how to see an obgyn doc urgently to prepare for my birth. Please advise since I am running out of time with possible complications. Thank you..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello I am hoping for help and guidance. I am almost 37 weeks pregnant with twins..high BP issues.. high risk pregnancy and those are precious babies after struggling to conceive for 5 years. Just made it to Toronto few days ago and will need to arrange for a C section ASAP. I have PR but no health insurance card and willing to pay out of pocket. I just need guidance on how to see an obgyn doc urgently to prepare for my birth. Please advise since I am running out of time with possible complications. Thank you..
Why did you risk coming to Canada??? As a physician you not only know the risk to you and your babies but also you are putting all the other patients and healthcare staff at risk! You must call a hospital and explain that you are in the quarantine period and feel like you need a c-section but may be covid positive. You must also call your local hospital billing department an explain that you are 37 weeks pregnant in quarantine but do not have health insurance and you need to make payment arrangments asap for a c-section. If you have a credit card I would try to give them the number.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that if your spouse is with you you'll need to ask if he is able to accompany you since he is also in quarantine and may be covid positive. You should also be asking what special procedures will need to get admitted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should also be aware that you can be billed back for any care for your twins if they don’t meet the OHIP residency requirements.

Canadianspirit

Feb 2, 2017
Both my husband and I are covid negative and we do have certificates for the result. A fasmily situation came up- new diagnosia of Leukemia in a 3 year old made us obligated to come ASAP. I know none of this is ideal but its what it is. So would you kindly suggest where should I start calling?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Both my husband and I are covid negative and we do have certificates for the result. A fasmily situation came up- new diagnosia of Leukemia in a 3 year old made us obligated to come ASAP. I know none of this is ideal but its what it is. So would you kindly suggest where should I start calling?
Your post is very confusing... Are you about to give birth to twins? Where does a 3 year old having leukemia come in the picture? I thou you had a hard time to conceive for 5 years.
BTW covid test negative doesn't give any confirmation. I know ppl who had been tested negativie and still asked to quaratine at home for 2 weeks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your post is very confusing... Are you about to give birth to twins? Where does a 3 year old having leukemia come in the picture? I thou you had a hard time to conceive for 5 years.
BTW covid test negative doesn't give any confirmation. I know ppl who had been tested negativie and still asked to quaratine at home for 2 weeks.
Just to add that some ppl tested negative days ago were tested positive and need further treatment.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you not done any research or contacted any OBs before coming to Canada and Toronto? Researched any hospitals since you are so late in your pregnancy and with twins the likelihood that you go to term is pretty low. Did your current OB not suggest that coming to Canada and not being able to have prenatal appointments for 14 days would be a huge risk? Based on your posts this morning you were worried about preeclampsia. Your negative tests are essentially worthless and you need to quarantine for 14 days. I assume you have been in your quarantine location all day today without leaving as required.

Would select a hospital that has an L&D ward that is somewhat close to where you are staying and call admitting, billling or something similar and explain that you are currently 37 weeks pregnant and are a permanent resident who doesn't qualify for OHIP and need to make arrangements to pay for a c-section and your hospital stay. I think it is almost guaranteed that you will go into labour before your quarantine ends. You should also mention to the billing/admitting department that you are currently quarantining and that you need to know how to enter the hospital given that you are still under the quarantine period and don't want to risk the safety of the patients or staff. I would also call the labour and delivery phone number and explain your situation. You'll need to explain that you are 37 weeks pregnant with twins but only entered Canada over the weekend, that you don't have an OB in Canada and there is a good chance you will go into labour while still in quarantine. Given that you are in quarantine you also can't go to any prenatal check-up and would there be a way to have any prenatal appointments are the hospital? You should also ask whether there is any way for your spouse to join you in the hospital if he is in quarantine. I am a bit preplexed as to why you didn't do any of this research before deciding if it was a good idea or safe to come to Canada so late in your pregnancy. Especially given that it is twins.