+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT!!! My son's RESTORATION application refused TWICE! PLEASE HELP!!

Feb 11, 2014
LONG POST ALERT!! PLEASE HELP ME PEOPLE…

My 20-year-old son is an international student in a Canadian university. He failed to renew his study permit on time, as he had renewed his TRV in July 2013 during the CIC strikes. He wrongly assumed his study permit had been extended as well since he paid for both renewals online. He didn’t check and never realized that the TRV was only extended for one month and slated to expire in August 2013. When he had started the Fall term in Sept, he realized the mix up when his school asked for a current study permit and then he checked his documents. Both TRV and study permit had expired! He informed the school and was asked to stop attending class until he got his study permit. He did that at once and then applied for restoration.
He sent his original LOA to support his application initially and was asked to send a current LOA as the other one was dated 2012. He obtained a current LOA from the school and emailed to CIC, but they never confirmed receiving it even when he called, no one would give him a confirmation for the email. (He kept the email as proof). My son was subsequently refused. We think this was because his email with the current LOA did not get to the right dept of CIC. By this time, his 90 days had lapsed. He reapplied to CIC with his documents and current LOA again and wrote a detailed explanation but again was refused. The decision was made in January 2014 and he received a letter from CIC dated 15 January 2014, saying he no longer had status and was notified to leave Canada immediately, which he did three days later.
My son is now back in his home country (Nigeria) and we are confused how to reapply for his study permit. The only options we see online are to apply afresh for study permit and TRV. He has letters from his school indicating he is a student there and would be allowed to re-enroll as soon as he has his study permit/TRV.
We are just worried about his two refusals and the request to leave Canada. Might this be a problem? He broke no laws, stopped going to classes as soon as he realized the problem and left Canada voluntarily. We kept his airline ticket to prove it.
Will these facts help his case? We are hoping to apply online through CIC later this week. Please advice us on how to tackle this new application. We have two other children studying in Canada as well.
Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - he needs to apply for a new study permit and a new TRV.

I would include a letter summarizing what happened with the restoration status requests and confirming that he left Canada as soon as he was told. It's too bad he didn't leave Canada after the first restoration request was refused (there was no chance the second restoration request was going to be approved and it was a waste of time and money to apply). However hopefull this won't be held against him.

All he can do is apply for a new study permit and provide as much information as he can to support his file.

Going forward, he will need to do a better job of staying on top of this visa validity dates.

Feb 11, 2014
Thank you, Scylla. I appreciate your feedback. We will go ahead with the new application with a detailed explanation and hope for the best!