+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent - Changing employers on LMIA

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Hi Team,
My husband is currently on a closed work permit with a LMIA (valid until January 2026). He is considering changing his current company due to work-related stress and other issues. He has found a new organization that is willing to process a new LMIA for him. Could you please provide information on the expected timeline for obtaining the new LMIA and visa documents? It's worth noting that the new company is one of the largest MNCs here in Canada.

On the subject of dependents, I am in Canada under the Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) and I work for a product-based organization using the SOWP visa. My visa is only valid until September 2024 due to passport expiration, whereas both of our children's visas are valid until October 2025.

We are curious about what will happen to our dependent visas if my husband obtains a new LMIA and visa. Will my visa become invalidated? Additionally, we would greatly appreciate guidance on the necessary considerations and precautions we should take, as well as any advice on ensuring a smooth transition. We value any assistance you can provide in addressing these questions.

Are there any potential risks we should be aware of? Our primary goal is to ensure that neither of our jobs is adversely affected and that the transition happens seamlessly.

Thanks