+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Updating CIC About Unemployment After AoR

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hi all,

I applied for PR while living in Japan but my work contract there ended in March. I decided not to renew my contract because I would have to sign a new contract for one year and breaking it would be difficult if I got confirmation to move to Canada within that time. I received my AoR on November 25 and paid my RPRF in January thinking that I would get confirmation by May. I'm no longer in Japan and back in my home country patiently waiting for PPR. I only have 19 days left on my countdown but I'm wondering if the delay is because I haven't told CIC that I've left my job and am currently unemployed. I updated them of my change in address and telephone number. Do I have to update them on my unemployment status or should I just remain calm and patient even though it looks like I'll be one of the 20% of applications that take longer to process?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Is "employment status" one of the things, along with "marital status" or "family composition" that you're supposed to update IRCC about?

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Is "employment status" one of the things, along with "marital status" or "family composition" that you're supposed to update IRCC about?
On the website it says to only update them on changes to employment status if it would affect eligibility. Since I'm so far in the process I didn't think it would. That's why I want to hear from others if it's absolutely necessary.

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
On the website it says to only update them on changes to employment status if it would affect eligibility. Since I'm so far in the process I didn't think it would. That's why I want to hear from others if it's absolutely necessary.
Hey ,
Even I had moved out of my previous job and did not inform CIC, My attorney informed me that it's not required and o my informed them about the change of address ..

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hey ,
Even I had moved out of my previous job and did not inform CIC, My attorney informed me that it's not required and o my informed them about the change of address ..
Thank you for that information. This has been worrying me. I will try and relax and wait. I just wish I could hear from them soon because I don't want to go through all my savings.

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
Thank you for that information. This has been worrying me. I will try and relax and wait. I just wish I could hear from them soon because I don't want to go through all my savings.
Im waiting from September...still no update