+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Underused Housing Tax

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Underused Housing Tax is an annual 1% tax on the ownership of vacant or underused housing in Canada that took effect on January 1, 2022. The tax usually applies to non-resident, non-Canadian owners. In some situations, however, it also applies to Canadian owners.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/taxes/excise-taxes-duties-and-levies/underused-housing-tax.html

Unless I'm mistaken, it appears to me that someone who lost PR status and not occupy their home (s) for a certain period will have to file the tax return and pay the 1% tax rate of the Underused Housing Tax!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wondered when they will provide more information and details about the tax. The last update was modified a month ago and the return is due on May 1, 2023.

Liamsimpsony

Jul 5, 2023
Yes, based on the information provided on the Canada Revenue Agency's website, it seems that the Underused Housing Tax in Canada imposes a 1% tax on the ownership of vacant or underused housing. While the tax typically applies to non-resident, non-Canadian owners, there are situations where it can also apply to Canadian owners, such as individuals who have lost their permanent resident status and do not occupy their homes for a certain period. In such cases, these individuals would likely be required to file the tax return and pay the 1% tax rate as specified by the Underused Housing Tax regulations.