+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Understanding officer's GCMS notes

Elly_ei

Apr 16, 2024
Hi everyone,

I applied for TRV for my parents and my sister on and their application got refused after 8 months based on these reasons on the refusal letter:
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors:
  • The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
My father was the main applicant and the purpose of their visit was to visit me, their daughter (a Canadian citizen). I got GCMS notes but I'm unable to decipher the officer remarks. Here is the notes:
  • I have reviewed all the documentation provided for this application and have established that applicant’s plan of entry into Canada is based on being an accompanying family member whom is a TRV applicant. The family member’s TRV has been refused, negating the purpose of travel to Canada. Weighting the factors in this application, I am not satisfied the applicant will depart Canada at the end of the period of authorized for their stay.
To me, this means the purpose of my parents visit was to accompany my sister and as my sister's TRV was refused this negates the purpose of their visit and thus their TRV is also refused! Is my understanding correct? If so, how does it make sense? The purpose of my parents visit was to see me in Canada!

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Last edited: