+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to fulfill RO - still maintain status?

mndlssomssn

Apr 14, 2021
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've had a read through and couldn't find a specific answer.

I got my PR in Mar 2022 and it expires in Apr 2027. Sadly I know I won't be able to spend the required 730 days over there during that time. Am I right in thinking that if I enter before it expires I will still have my PR status even if my card is expired, then can renew it after 730 days?

Thankyou for any help. I would love to keep my PR despite not being able to relocate when I originally thought I could.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've had a read through and couldn't find a specific answer.

I got my PR in Mar 2022 and it expires in Apr 2027. Sadly I know I won't be able to spend the required 730 days over there during that time. Am I right in thinking that if I enter before it expires I will still have my PR status even if my card is expired, then can renew it after 730 days?

Thankyou for any help. I would love to keep my PR despite not being able to relocate when I originally thought I could.
To be 100% sure that you can keep your PR, you must relocate to Canada before March 2025 (three years after your landing date, to be exact). After that, you will be in breach of your residency obligation.

The fact that your PR card is still valid until Apr 2027 only helps you in that you can travel to Canada directly (i.e. without going through a land border). But as soon as you are in breach of your RO, you run the risk of being asked about compliance with the RO at the border and issued a report that can result in loss of your PR, even if you still have a valid PR card.

If you do not get reported, you are correct that you will remain PR and can rectify the breach by staying in Canada until you have accumulated 730 days, and then apply for a new PR card.

But again - you may get reported, even with a valid PR card. The sooner you get here, the lower the risk. And risk is zero if you get to (and stay in) Canada before the 3-year anniversary of your landing date.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured and YVR123

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

To be clear, PR status remains unless/until it is:
Renounced by you
or
Revoked by IRCC

A person that has not met the Residency Requirements will still be allowed to `enter' Canada without a valid PR Card as they would still have PR status. Whether or not they can `travel to' Canada will depend on the method of travel they choose, since commercial carriers usually require a valid PR Card, save for a U.S. passport holder, perhaps.

The post from @Besram sums it up and ties a proverbial bow on it, too. LOL!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

If admitted and not reported, that will work. But as noted, not much of a plan since no-one can say whether you'll be reported or not.

In one sense: if you're one day over the number of days allowed outside Canada (i.e. 1095 days, which is five years minus the 730 days, and being over 1095 days outside Canada in any five year period means out of compliance), then you are probably not going to get reported. Two days out - chances still low but a little bit higher.

And so on.

The probability only gets higher, but nobody can say when it becomes so high that you actually will be reported (it's a probability). Depends on your tolerance for the risk of losing PR.