+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK citizen seeking helpfull advice!

daviess566

May 9, 2010
I am a Uk citizen, 23 years of age, and I am looking to join the Canadian Police Force and hopefully gain citizenship somehow.

I have been in HM Forces (Royal Marines) UK for 4 years, then left and since then I have been working in a few diffrent jobs in London.
Although I start a collage course in September and after go onto do a degree in Physiotherapy.

I am basically going down the road of education because im very interested in Physiotherapy and it will help me gain citizenship into Canada.

Although, becoming a Police Officer in Canada (Vancouver BC) is also one of my ambitions. And would be a quicker way to move to Canada, if this was a route that would be possible, I would choose this over education.

So I am writing here to ask if anyone has sound/accurate infomation on becoming or applying for the police force in Canada.

I dont have a degree and any trade, I was just thinking if there is a way I can get some sort of working visa (working in any job temporarely), and then somehow appling for Perminant residancy (which you need before applying to the Police) and then somehow getting accepted into the Police and gaining citezenship from there?

I am staring to research on the subject now, and ive begun by posting a question here to see if anyone can help.

Many thanks for reading this long winded post, I would appreciate all advice!

Stephen Davies.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you have PR, getting citizenship is easy. It's getting the PR that can be hard, especially when you are 23 with limited education or experience. If you go to Canada on a work permit, it is better that it is for a skilled position. If you go as a low skilled worker, it's very hard to apply for your PR. What you can do that could be a skilled position, you can find here: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/OccupationIndex.aspx

The way you see if a position is skilled or not is look at the 4 digit code. If the first digit is 0, it overrides everything else and then it is a skilled job. If the first digit is not 0, then you have to look at the 2nd digit which has to be 1, 2 or 3 and then it is also a skilled job. Everything else, not a skilled job.

For example, you can see on http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Occupations.aspx?val=6 that bakers, police officers, hair stylists etc. are skilled while bartenders, pet groomers and security guards are not skilled.

I am not sure about licensing issues in physiotherapy. From what I have heard, Canada needs physiotherapists but you would probably need to get licensed to be able to work.