+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Type of Spouse Sponsorship?

Shark_baby

Mar 13, 2024
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend is an International student, and I'm PR. We are living together in Canada and plan to get married in Canada this year, and we usually travel overseas for work, vacation, and so on. We are considering which type of spouse sponsorship (outland or inland) is eligible for us to apply. Thanks for help!

canfan555

Mar 13, 2024
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend is an International student, and I'm PR. We are living together in Canada and plan to get married in Canada this year, and we usually travel overseas for work, vacation, and so on. We are considering which type of spouse sponsorship (outland or inland) is eligible for us to apply. Thanks for help!
Hi,

Typically, inland spousal sponsorship is for those who have their foreign partners currently living in Canada (either through student visa, working visa, tourist visa). According to IRCC (as of March 2024), inland spousal sponsorship will take about 9 months to process.

Outland sponsorship is for those who will have their foreign partner live outside Canada (in their home country), while waiting for the spousal sponsorship to be approved. This will take approximately 12 months to process according to IRCC. Also, with outland sponsorship, it takes a little longer because the sponsorship application will be processed in the Canadian Visa Office in which the foreign partner lives.

There is much more detail that is explained here:
>> Inland Spousal Sponsorship Canada