+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two-time rejection of Visitor Visa

Aakash Evans

Sep 22, 2014
Hi All,

I had applied for my mother-in-law's visa and it got rejected twice.

First Time: Rejected on July, 2022
We gave the reason for future pregnancy and that my wife would require the support of her mother during that time. This application was done through an agency. It got rejected because of the below reasons:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors:
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
• Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable).
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

Second Time: Rejected on March 10, 2023
This time we just mentioned our reasoning that my mother-in-law just wants to visit us and also, we have bought a house so we wanted her to stay with us and we will show her around. This application was done by us and also got rejected because of the below reasons:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors:
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
• You have not provided sufficient documentation to support your or your host's income and assets.

Our Situation:
In the second application, we showed our funds and didn't show anything from my mother-in-law's side as she didn't have enough funds to show. We showed our savings and said that we will cover the entire cost of the trip. We showed $15,000 which we are ready to use as and when needed during her visit. It still got rejected saying that the purpose of the visit is not consistent and that insufficient documentation to support your or your host's income and assets.

What am I missing here? Do I need to show that she is going to support herself? In that case, we will have to send her money and it needs to stay in her account for 6 months. Or can we also provide a gift deed? What should be my next steps and should I give some cooling period before I do my next application? Is it not preferable to say that we will cover her expenses?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi All,

I had applied for my mother-in-law's visa and it got rejected twice.

First Time: Rejected on July, 2022
We gave the reason for future pregnancy and that my wife would require the support of her mother during that time. This application was done through an agency. It got rejected because of the below reasons:

• Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable).
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

Second Time: Rejected on March 10, 2023
This time we just mentioned our reasoning that my mother-in-law just wants to visit us and also, we have bought a house so we wanted her to stay with us and we will show her around. This application was done by us and also got rejected because of the below reasons:

• You have not provided sufficient documentation to support your or your host's income and assets.

Our Situation:
In the second application, we showed our funds and didn't show anything from my mother-in-law's side as she didn't have enough funds to show. We showed our savings and said that we will cover the entire cost of the trip. We showed $15,000 which we are ready to use as and when needed during her visit. It still got rejected saying that the purpose of the visit is not consistent and that insufficient documentation to support your or your host's income and assets.

What am I missing here? Do I need to show that she is going to support herself? In that case, we will have to send her money and it needs to stay in her account for 6 months. Or can we also provide a gift deed? What should be my next steps and should I give some cooling period before I do my next application? Is it not preferable to say that we will cover her expenses?
It was a mistake not showing any funds from her side. Showing your funds actually works against her, she should have her own funds.
What is your current status in Canada? If supervisa is an option i would recommend that because then you can shift the financial burden from her to yourself.

Also note that saying she would be coming to help with pregnancy was a bad idea. Sometimes they view taking care of grandchildren as work, and having free childcare is a strong reason for her to stay and not go back.

Reactions: Terang1987

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Maybe it depends on the immigration officer? Cause in my case, I applied my sister as a visitor last year and I showed my proof of funds as my sister don’t have savings and it was approved.

I also I applied my mom as a visitor year 2019 when I got my pr and I put in the invitation letter that my mom will help me to settle my kids here. I also provide my proof of funds and it was approved. Maybe I’m just lucky cause most people says it’s not a good idea to write in the invitation that the person your inviting will help you to take care of your kids.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe it depends on the immigration officer? Cause in my case, I applied my sister as a visitor last year and I showed my proof of funds as my sister don’t have savings and it was approved.

I also I applied my mom as a visitor year 2019 when I got my pr and I put in the invitation letter that my mom will help me to settle my kids here. I also provide my proof of funds and it was approved. Maybe I’m just lucky cause most people says it’s not a good idea to write in the invitation that the person your inviting will help you to take care of your kids.
Settle your kids means temporarily help you move caring for your kids would be illegally working in Canada which is not allowed. In general visitors must show they have their own funds and show that they have strong ties to their home country. If your sister was young and hadn’t started a career she did get lucky and got approved without her own funds but it is more believable that a 20 year old would want to visit for 2 weeks but didn’t have funds to support their own travels. You are asking for your mother to visit for a long period of time and you don’t have a lot of personal savings and you want to support your mother for a long period of time as well. Unless a woman is on bed rest there is no need for a parent to come support them during pregnancy. Their spouse can help them do general household tasks early on in pregnancy if they are too fatigued and have bad morning sickness and at the very end of the pregnancy when they may be extremely uncomfortable. If applying for support during a pregnancy while only applying for a TRV that allows a maximum 6 months there will be concern that the person is not planning on returning home after 6 months. If your mother doesn’t have her own funds and doesn’t have many ties to her home country asking for a 6 month stay is too long. Assume she isn’t working. Is she married? Does she have any dependent children at home or care for her own parents? Does she own a home or property? Does she have to be present in her home country to receive a pension? These are the types of things that need to be included. Did your family meet LICO for 2022? If so a supervisa may be a better option.

Reactions: Terang1987

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Is it ok to provide my proof of funds and my mom? Does proof of home ownership and vehicle can be use as a property to proof also that she’s coming back home?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is it ok to provide my proof of funds and my mom? Does proof of home ownership and vehicle can be use as a property to proof also that she’s coming back home?
Yes property and vehicle ownership are good proof of ties to your home country especially owning a home. You can include proof of your own funds for a TRV but your mother’s savings are what is most important. For a supervisa your finances are more important than your mother’s.

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
I forgot to ask,1. is it better if I will include my husband proof of income? 2. Is it ok if I will write on the invitation letter that it will be a great opportunity for my mom to meet my son for the first time who was born here and we haven’t see each other for 4 years?3. I can invite my mother if I’m under closed work permit and I just renewed it and still valid for 2 years?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I forgot to ask,1. is it better if I will include my husband proof of income? 2. Is it ok if I will write on the invitation letter that it will be a great opportunity for my mom to meet my son for the first time who was born here and we haven’t see each other for 4 years?3. I can invite my mother if I’m under closed work permit and I just renewed it and still valid for 2 years?
Your spouse provide a letter indicating that his savings are family savings since he supports you financially as a spouse. Yes you can include meeting your son as a reason for her to travel.

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
It will be visitor visa, my husband and I are both under closed work permit so we cannot apply for supervisa for my mom.