+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Ireland without PR card. Help!

1212WEST1212

Nov 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

I booked a trip months ago to go to Ireland from July 1st to July 16. During that time I became a canada permanent resident and was able to successfully settle in. Cic recently sent me an email saying that they can't process my PR card because the pictures are not good. I have since sent the new pictures but it will take another month or more before I get my card. I leave to Ireland on July 1st, the cic agent said once in Ireland I can apply for a travel document in the London visa office. Does anyone have any idea on how long does it take to get a travel document from them? Also cic website says I need to pay for a fee online and send the visa office a copy but I don't know how much that cost. I want to make sure in able to come back because I don't want to lose my job.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi everyone,

I booked a trip months ago to go to Ireland from July 1st to July 16. During that time I became a canada permanent resident and was able to successfully settle in. Cic recently sent me an email saying that they can't process my PR card because the pictures are not good. I have since sent the new pictures but it will take another month or more before I get my card. I leave to Ireland on July 1st, the cic agent said once in Ireland I can apply for a travel document in the London visa office. Does anyone have any idea on how long does it take to get a travel document from them? Also cic website says I need to pay for a fee online and send the visa office a copy but I don't know how much that cost. I want to make sure in able to come back because I don't want to lose my job.
Yes you will need to mail your passport and the PR Travel Doc application/fee to the London visa office. They should be able to process the PR TD and send you everything back within 2 weeks (I've heard it can be done within 1 week in previous cases).

Of course if any delays in PR TD processing or shipping, you would be stranded in Ireland until you get everything.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
Yes you will need to mail your passport and the PR Travel Doc application/fee to the London visa office. They should be able to process the PR TD and send you everything back within 2 weeks (I've heard it can be done within 1 week in previous cases).

Of course if any delays in PR TD processing or shipping, you would be stranded in Ireland until you get everything.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/
What if we only stay in the foreign country for under one week? Like I'm going to visit my relatives in the US in early August and will be back in 4 days. How do I reenter Canadan or even board a plane with only the COPR?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What if we only stay in the foreign country for under one week? Like I'm going to visit my relatives in the US in early August and will be back in 4 days. How do I reenter Canadan or even board a plane with only the COPR?
Unless you're a US citizen, you can't board a plane without PR TD or valid PR card.

So you would need to stay in US long enough to get a PR TD, or drive across the border (where just passport and COPR would be enough).

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
October 24th, 2016
Unless you're a US citizen, you can't board a plane without PR TD or valid PR card.

So you would need to stay in US long enough to get a PR TD, or drive across the border (where just passport and COPR would be enough).
Darn, this is bad! I did my landing at the border on May 26th. Do you think it's possible that I will receive my PR card before August?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Darn, this is bad! I did my landing at the border on May 26th. Do you think it's possible that I will receive my PR card before August?
Yes a good chance, average time to receive PR card should be 45-60 days (assuming no issues like in original post here).

Last edited:

bravia

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5, 2013
AOR Received.
?
Med's Request
August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
I I have the same problem. I did my flagpole last 30April and up to this time I haven't got my PR card. And I am leaving on 20June and be back 20July. In that case I should apply PRTD the moment I get to London. Just to be sure that I have it before I go back to Canada.

What do I need to submit in applying for a PRTD.

Thanks a lot.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I I have the same problem. I did my flagpole last 30April and up to this time I haven't got my PR card. And I am leaving on 20June and be back 20July. In that case I should apply PRTD the moment I get to London. Just to be sure that I have it before I go back to Canada.

What do I need to submit in applying for a PRTD.

Thanks a lot.
PR TD app package is here. Just submit as many of the docs that you can, and where you can't include an explanation that you just recently became a PR. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

kishorsankaran

Nov 16, 2016
Chennai, India
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-01-2017
Nomination.....
04-01-2017
File Transfer...
11-03-2017
Med's Done....
05-05-2017
Passport Req..
15-06-2017
Hi I am Kishor. I had received my COPR and passport with visa stamped last week. But it is valid only upto Jan. I am skeptical if I may get a job before that. So my friend suggested that I just come to Toronto for 2-3 days next month and complete the formalities and go back to India. I can stay at his place for those days [visit Niagara of course :) ] and I will give their address as my address and I can get the PR card [which comes in 45 days] delivered it to his place.

My question is " Do we have to physically be present to get the PR card? Can it be couriered to friend's place and we get it from him once he lands India?" Kindly confirm so that I can plan my journey accordingly. Thanks a ton in advance.

Regards,

Kishor Sankaran