+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling abroad with expired PR

skeum

Mar 2, 2024
We booked a vacation traveling out of Canada starting tomorrow.
Everyone in family has Canadian citizenship except my wife. She has PR and we just realized that her PR card expired last month.

Here's the question.
Would she be able to board the plane leaving Canada?
Our plan is to book her a return flight back to a USA location near the border and travel back in to Canada by car using her expired PR card.

Thanks in advance!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We booked a vacation traveling out of Canada starting tomorrow.
Everyone in family has Canadian citizenship except my wife. She has PR and we just realized that her PR card expired last month.

Here's the question.
Would she be able to board the plane leaving Canada?
Our plan is to book her a return flight back to a USA location near the border and travel back in to Canada by car using her expired PR card.

Thanks in advance!
Not enough information to give an answer.

skeum

Mar 2, 2024
Basically we are concerned that the airline will not let us board the plane leaving Canada (to Mexico) because there is no valid document (in this case a valid PR card) to re-enter Canada via air.

We are arranging a re-entry route through land from USA and have valid passport and US visa. We are going to present the expired PR card at the Canadian border as I heard that it is pretty much allowed.

Do you think the airline will let us leave Canada if we told them we are not flying directly back to Canada? Will above plan work out?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Basically we are concerned that the airline will not let us board the plane leaving Canada (to Mexico) because there is no valid document (in this case a valid PR card) to re-enter Canada via air.

We are arranging a re-entry route through land from USA and have valid passport and US visa. We are going to present the expired PR card at the Canadian border as I heard that it is pretty much allowed.

Do you think the airline will let us leave Canada if we told them we are not flying directly back to Canada? Will above plan work out?
They might warn you but it's basically your problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You can leave Canada. You would be flying to Mexico based on your home country passport unless your entry is dependent on having a PR card for some reason. Assuming your wife has a US visa she should have no issues entering Canada via the US. Assume she meets her RO or else she could get reported while entering.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You would be flying to Mexico based on your home country passport unless your entry is dependent on having a PR card for some reason.
Mexico gives visa-free entry to Canadian PRs, regardless of their (other) nationality - so might well be dependent on having PR card.

Reactions: canuck78