+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to US with 'Implied status'

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
I am currently on Implied Status, and am waiting for a decision on my extension of status as a visitor. I am from TRV required country. My visa has expired on August 8th but I applied on August 1st I am currently on Implied Status. My work permit has expired and I plan on only coming back as a visitor, not to work in Canada. I am waiting for my PR here (just had my medical visit).

I would like to travel to the US for 1 week. I will only be going to the US and coming back. Will I have any issues with re-entry in Canada? I will not have a work permit or study permit, but I will be on implied status pending extension as visitor.

I see different info online but I prefer to confirm:
- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html
- https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-190.html

Thanks a lot

hellogirl

Dec 17, 2017
Hello. Can you share your experience if you indeed travelled to the US. My case is similar. I filed my closed work permit extension in may 23, I received request for additional document in sep 23, I replied back with document within 2 days, last work permit expired in October 23. The multiple entry stamp on my passport is valid till April 24. I’m currently on implied status and I have to go to US next week. I can return to Canada as long as passport stamp is valid.Can you tell me if there is a way for me to continue working upon return to Canada or have to refilé the extension?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello. Can you share your experience if you indeed travelled to the US. My case is similar. I filed my closed work permit extension in may 23, I received request for additional document in sep 23, I replied back with document within 2 days, last work permit expired in October 23. The multiple entry stamp on my passport is valid till April 24. I’m currently on implied status and I have to go to US next week. I can return to Canada as long as passport stamp is valid.Can you tell me if there is a way for me to continue working upon return to Canada or have to refilé the extension?
The valid TRV does not guarantee entry into Canada. Your only safe bet to be able to return to Canada and work is to not leave Canada