+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring citizenship application file to another province

visavorpr

May 8, 2018
Hello,

How long does it take to transfer a citizenship application from one office to another office?

I have applied for citizenship in March from Halifax. I passed the test at the end of August and was invited to attend oath ceremony November 14th.

I moved to Toronto in may as I graduated and found a job in Toronto. I flew in for my test and I booked my flight for my oath. Was planning to come in the day before my oath and my flight got cancelled, consecutive flights the next day got cancelled as well and I missed my oath.

I wrote an explanation and submitted proof of cancelled flight and was told I will be rescheduled. I also changed my address so that I do not have to fly again to Halifax especially during winter as the flights are very unreliable during winter (one time I got stuck at the airport for 4 days trying to fly to Halifax in January and do not want to repeat this experience). I have requested for my file to be transferred November 14th. As of December 10th my file is still in Halifax waiting to be transferred.

Called immigration to ask how long does it take to transfer the file and was told the same thing everyone gets told when they call "You are still within the processing time of 1 year so you just need to wait, your oath will be rescheduled by your local office once the file is transferred.". Can anyone share their experience transferring files?

Thank you

Reactions: GeoCanadian

visavorpr

May 8, 2018
Hello,

I thought I will update my thread here as someone has DMed me asking for an update.
My Timeline:
March 2018: Submitted application for citizenship from Halifax
August 2018: Passed my citizenship test in Halifax
November 14 2018: Missed my oath.
November 14th 2018 I have requested a file transfer to Toronto
December 14th 2018 I called immigration to confirm whether they have transferred my file to Toronto. I was told on the phone that my file was still physically in Halifax but I should not worry, it will be moved to Toronto and Toronto office will contact me to schedule an oath.
January 2019: I received oath invitation to Halifax....
End of January 2019 I attended an oath ceremony in Halifax.

Before the ceremony started, an officer came up to me and told me that because I sent in notes asking for file transfer she did not think I was coming and she did not print a citizenship certificate for me. I told her that I did call and that someone on the phone told me that I will be reviving invitation for Toronto ceremony and I was very surprised to see an invitation for Halifax and I came as I did not want to miss the oath the second time. She said I could still attend the ceremony. She said she will print the certificate within 1 business day and will send it to me within 5 business days. I received my certificate in a mail On Thursday two days after my oath.

So after all my file was never transferred and was still sitting in Halifax end of January when I requested a transfer mid November. My advice to someone who knows will be moving to wait until you move and then apply for citizenship.

Reactions: GeoCanadian

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
PER receieved on 05-APR-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application (band 8.5)
File Transfer...
Transferred from Buffelo to Ottawa
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Thanks for the detailed update! That's great info for others contemplating the file transfer request.