+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time to move to Canada after PR granted

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You can do what is known as a soft landing. This means landing and returning within a short period. This must be done within the one year. There is no way to extend this. However, after soft landing you have 3 years to make the permanent move.

Jul 9, 2018
You can do what is known as a soft landing. This means landing and returning within a short period. This must be done within the one year. There is no way to extend this. However, after soft landing you have 3 years to make the permanent move.
Thanks so much for your help. Will I be allowed back in my own country once I then do the soft landing? If I don't have my PR card will I be allowed to leave and return to Canada?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks so much for your help. Will I be allowed back in my own country once I then do the soft landing? If I don't have my PR card will I be allowed to leave and return to Canada?
You will still remain a citizen of your country (or legal resident if it is another country), so there is no problem in returning to your country.

As for returning to Canada, people give friend/relative's address for PR card and once it is issued, have the friend/relative mail it to you in your country. You will not be able to return to Canada using a commercial carrier (flight, ship etc.) without the PR card. Another less preferable option is to apply for PRTD in your home country.