Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't matter if it's an Access to Info or if it's a Privacy Act request.....it's 30 calendar days to deliver the documentation, period. In fact you have more of a reason to demand it within their own timeframe given that you paid the fee for it.

That's the generic, published email address. You can also directly send or copy to the ATIP administrator (Lana.Nass @ cic.gc.ca). I've already been replied to by Carline.Maceus @ cic.gc.ca.
mcmasters said:
Thanks for the email address. I'm assuming it's taking longer because we're doing the request by mail (we had to send in the info release form, and I'm not in Canada, but my sponsor is, so we decided to mail it). My hubs paid for it so I'll ask him if his card was charged.

I just wondered if despite the 30 days rule I had to allow time for mail delivery before I got all antsy-pantsy.

More than anything I'm concerned our notes won't tell us anything we don't already know, or worse, that it's going to be even LONGER than anticipated, or there's something wrong/missing.

doublemint

Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone in the waiting game and pass along my timeline for the spreadsheet (thanks ddobro2!)

Background:

We have a real marriage, 5+ years, joint everything, no kids. My wife (USA/CAN dual citizen) and I (USA citizen) have never lived in Canada; I am applying for PR because her family is moving back and we want to stay together. We included letters from her family in Canada confirming our plans and welcoming us to stay in their home, but in reality, we will just rent/buy when we get there.

Timeline:

15/JUL/2011: medicals done
27/JUL/2011: application mailed
14/OCT/2011: sponsorship approved
25/OCT/2011: (received physical mail, sponsorship approved)
25/OCT/2011: first check of ecas:

We received X's application for permanent residence on August 4, 2011.
Medical results have been received.

07/DEC/2011: (received email, file transferred to Los Angeles)

That's all for now!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, welcome aboard :)
doublemint said:
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone in the waiting game and pass along my timeline for the spreadsheet (thanks ddobro2!)

Background:

We have a real marriage, 5+ years, joint everything, no kids. My wife (USA/CAN dual citizen) and I (USA citizen) have never lived in Canada; I am applying for PR because her family is moving back and we want to stay together. We included letters from her family in Canada confirming our plans and welcoming us to stay in their home, but in reality, we will just rent/buy when we get there.

Timeline:

15/JUL/2011: medicals done
27/JUL/2011: application mailed
14/OCT/2011: sponsorship approved
25/OCT/2011: (received physical mail, sponsorship approved)
25/OCT/2011: first check of ecas:

We received X's application for permanent residence on August 4, 2011.
Medical results have been received.

07/DEC/2011: (received email, file transferred to Los Angeles)

That's all for now!

jamaicanincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
AOR Received.
03-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-05-2011
Med's Done....
01-03-2011
Passport Req..
28-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-11-2011
jacobsdennis said:
BREAKING NEWS FROM BUFFALO...!!!

My partner wa granted his PR visa following a brief interview with us both!!!!!!!!!!! He will land tonight when we cross back into Canada at Rainbow Bridge!!! LOTS more information to follow once we check into our hotel room in Niagara Falls tonight! Will also share the landing story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!!!

doghouse

Star Member
May 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
Med's Done....
11 July 2011
Passport Req..
9 March 2012
VISA ISSUED...
2 April 2012
Congrats, jacobsdennis! What a relief it must be...

Ddobro, I'm just curious... In the spreadsheet, what's the difference between yellow and orange? I can't seem to figure it out :p

Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We emailed Buffalo, and got a response saying a letter requesting an interview was sent on last month and no date has been set yet, but we are yet to receive the letter with not even knowing the content of the letter and now we are not certain what to do. Infact early September we received an email saying the interview had been waived and medical has been received. On the GCMS we received there was no indication in GCMS notes that they were requesting an interview...Any advice on here will be highly appreciated. Thanks Guys in advance

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I default them as orange and then when and if someone gets AOR, I change it to yellow. By the way, that's how sparkle, who did the spreadsheet before me, had it, and I asked on here once if people want to keep those three categories and people seemed to be fine with it that way.
doghouse said:
Congrats, jacobsdennis! What a relief it must be...

Ddobro, I'm just curious... In the spreadsheet, what's the difference between yellow and orange? I can't seem to figure it out :p

NYQUE

May 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2011
AOR Received.
03-08-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
25-04-2012
Passport Req..
25-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-04-2012
LANDED..........
25-04-2012
ddobro2 said:
What country are you originally from? Why did you and your wife wait about a year before deciding to apply for your Canadian PR?

I sympathize about the 4 months and counting having to wait for them to set a date for that interview. As far as the scheduled "well in advance" bit, don't think it'll necessarily be months and months - they could mean 1 month, which is enough time for people to order their GCMS notes (they realize, I think, that people understand they need to consult those to prepare for an interview).

Since you already ordered a copy of your notes and you saw that their complaint was that you "haven't spent enough time together," yet you say that you visit your wife every months or so (truly, if you live in New York and she lives in Quebec it's not too far of a distance between you), and I assume that's in addition to the telephonic and virtual communication you two have, I'm wondering if perhaps you didn't put all that evidence (plane and train tickets, passport stamps, phone records with her number highlighted, instant message and email messages) into your application. Otherwise, if you did, I'm left with the fact that an IO at Buffalo, faced with evidence of monthly visits (on a student's schedule and income, I might add) is judging you DIDN'T spend enough time together......which is messed up, even for Buffalo. In any case, they are obviously picking on you because you're not a U.S. national.

Whatever you didn't include in your application, and even what you did (I presume you made copies of whatever was sent so you don't have to retrieve it again), I would bring to that interview. That offer of employment in the U.S., and your response turning it down because your wife wanted to stay in Canada and you wanted to fulfill her wish - was that before or after you filed? In any case, take that to the interview. They want to find some evidence that you are primarily married to your wife in order to come to Canada. What you need to do is to convince them that you are with your wife out of love and where you live together is a secondary concern. I think refusing that job offer, which I assume would have eventually given you PR status in the U.S., is good proof of that.
Thnxs ddbro2, I'm from El Salvador, and yes I figured they picked on me because I'm not a US citizen, to answer your question about why didn't we started the sponsorship application, well me and my wife got married the Fall of 2009, I was still school and I knew I it will take me more time to finish, first we didn't want it to be seen as like ok we got married let's do the paperwork now, # 2 were the fees money was tight at the time, and as I guess a lot of people in this site, it took some time to digest how to prepare everything and get all the documentation together, I thought actually would take 6 months so we submitted the sponsorship application in April hoping was going to be finish around October, everything was going fine even since we are going to live, we are now in Quebec, according to the GCMS notes everything was received (QSC, RPRF) around June-July, the file was first review (the only time when it was determined an interview was needed) on 8/12 and that's when I received the letter.

Even though I am from a country that requires a TRV (I have family in Quebec BTW) I have had held a TRV for the past 5 years, (I'm on my 5th TRV which will expire on 2013) so all that time if I would've wanted I would've stay and simply do inland, but we never considered it with my wife because as everyone knows it takes more time, so I followed the course of my studies, another thing they judged is the fact that my wife is French Canadian and I'm from Latin America so they expressed we have different ethnic backgrounds which I found that assertion to be a little judgemental since Canada is a multicultural country with several multicultural ethnic groups.

As I told my wife, we will continue waiting but financially it takes a toll as when I was in the States I was making good money $70K+ and my savings are little by little fading away, I have been in Canada since August and while we are happy to be together here, I feel frustrated I can't make any long term plans (kids) because of the uncertainty of what's going to happen, the job Offer I had was with the company I was working before and yes it was before sending my application, I basically told them that my wife is here and that eventually I was going to leave, they offered me to work for them here (they have offices in Canada too) and the agreement was (since I thought by October the application was going to be finalized) to work for this company as soon as I received my PR, but here we are, and to tell you the truth I'm tired of this game...

I am positive everything will be ok, I'm not even worried about the interview itself I just wish we had a tangible time frame, I will keep you posted as how it goes.

Thanks for the words of support.

B.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, wow. Summarize your case for me again. You definetely need to get in touch with an MP, any MP, no doubt about it. Receiving an email (I don't know if it was officially an "initial assessment" or what, but honestly, I think that's a bit odd, as I haven't heard too many people getting IA over email) stating an interview has been waived and then supposedly being sent a letter two months later stating in fact that an interview is requested is a big red flag and something I would check out. Yes, it's true that in the initial assessment (again, not sure if the message you received WAS that) the specific language is that they *expect* to finalize your application without a personal interview, and that, "while an interview does not appear necessary at this time," they "reserve the right to call you to an interview" should it become necessary at some future stage in processing. However, I think it's not too much a stretch of the imagination to entertain the possibility that this might have been yet another SNAFU on Buffalo's part (somewhat substantiated by the fact that you have not received the purported letter asking for said interview as well as the absence of it per what is noted in GCMS) and that they either misread some coding on the file, or confused it with another file. In any case, I strongly suggest having an MP bring this discrepancy to their attention and get them to, first of all, confirm that they are indeed deciding that an interview is required, even though they had initially not "expected" to need one. Did Buffalo's email to you note to which address the letter was sent by the way?

Eddy070 said:
We emailed Buffalo, and got a response saying a letter requesting an interview was sent on last month and no date has been set yet, but we are yet to receive the letter with not even knowing the content of the letter and now we are not certain what to do. Infact early September we received an email saying the interview had been waived and medical has been received. On the GCMS we received there was no indication in GCMS notes that they were requesting an interview...Any advice on here will be highly appreciated. Thanks Guys in advance

NYQUE

May 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2011
AOR Received.
03-08-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
25-04-2012
Passport Req..
25-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-04-2012
LANDED..........
25-04-2012
ddobro2 said:
Okay, wow. Summarize your case for me again. You definetely need to get in touch with an MP, any MP, no doubt about it. Receiving an email (I don't know if it was officially an "initial assessment" or what, but honestly, I think that's a bit odd, as I haven't heard too many people getting IA over email) stating an interview has been waived and then supposedly being sent a letter two months later stating in fact that an interview is requested is a big red flag and something I would check out. Yes, it's true that in the initial assessment (again, not sure if the message you received WAS that) the specific language is that they *expect* to finalize your application without a personal interview, and that, "while an interview does not appear necessary at this time," they "reserve the right to call you to an interview" should it become necessary at some future stage in processing. However, I think it's not too much a stretch of the imagination to entertain the possibility that this might have been yet another SNAFU on Buffalo's part (somewhat substantiated by the fact that you have not received the purported letter asking for said interview as well as the absence of it per what is noted in GCMS) and that they either misread some coding on the file, or confused it with another file. In any case, I strongly suggest having an MP bring this discrepancy to their attention and get them to, first of all, confirm that they are indeed deciding that an interview is required, even though they had initially not "expected" to need one. Did Buffalo's email to you note to which address the letter was sent by the way?
I'm sorry ddobro2 if I didn't explain myself better (now I'm in a better mood after watching an episode of my name is Earl haha), to summarize:
-Application Sent and Received on April 15.
-Sponsorship Approval May 24
-Application Received in Buffalo June 6
-CSQ Issued on June 20
-On 8/3 I received the email confirming the application was received by Buffalo.
-8/12 I received the letter advising a personal Interview is required, my and my wife must attend.
-September I received the first request for my GCMS file and that's where I found out why.

So no, we never received a AI email or letter, after the letter advising about the interview we haven't received nothing, on 12/12 will be 4 months.

B.

Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddobro2 said:
we got the initial assessment with everything ok but not sure if the person who replied us misread the file. We can say much until we receive the letter they claim they sent us or what so ever either it was just like a shock and not sure long the so called letter takes to get to me from there office since last month. I wish our MP could help to check into this but all we get from him (all the time ) is to wait still next year when we will mark the 11month timeline. Just frustrated with this whole process. Maybe miracle or some type of magic could just happen as my wife as been depressed after telling her. What a nite to deal with.:(

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Eddy070 said:
we got the initial assessment with everything ok but not sure if the person who replied us misread the file. We can say much until we receive the letter they claim they sent us or what so ever either it was just like a shock and not sure long the so called letter takes to get to me from there office since last month. I wish our MP could help to check into this but all we get from him (all the time ) is to wait still next year when we will mark the 11month timeline. Just frustrated with this whole process. Maybe miracle or some type of magic could just happen as my wife as been depressed after telling her. What a nite to deal with.:(
ddobro2, was it you that had the name of an MP that is friendly toward immigrants? Ours here isn't too bad, but they're only French speaking so I don't know how much help that would be.

I think at the very least Eddy070, you should write back the person who emailed you and state that you're confused because you had received the IA saying no interview was necessary, and also that neither you nor your spouse/partner has received any letter stating that an interview has been requested. Never hurts to ask the person to double check that they didn't accidentally grab the wrong file.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The initial assessment was the email you referred to? IA does not usually say "medicals received," at least to my knowledge, which is also why I asked.

Do yourself a favor and don't wait for this so-called letter. If they indeed sent you a letter, it would have already gotten to you. That's also why asked if Buffalo noted which address it was sent to.

Do what I suggested and go to ANY MP (I believe someone suggested one to you that had been helpful earlier on here) and have him or her confirm for you that they indeed did change their mind re: the interview. Sorry, but miracles do not straighten these situations out; being tenacious in your efforts to point out inconsistencies and misinformation and using people who CIC is prone to pay close attention to (i.e., members of Parliament), on the other hand, do.

Eddy070 said:

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh no, it wasn't me. I actually haven't reached out to mine yet, short of copying him in my email to ATIP (which the MP office was never were like, "so, what was that about?" or anything, in response to; but I got what I wanted from ATIP less than 24 hours after ;D).

I don't know who that is and it's several pages back in the thread. If it wasn't doctorkb, I think he too would have an MP that is "immigrant-friendly" to reference.

AmericaninQuebec said:
ddobro2, was it you that had the name of an MP that is friendly toward immigrants? Ours here isn't too bad, but they're only French speaking so I don't know how much help that would be.

I think at the very least Eddy070, you should write back the person who emailed you and state that you're confused because you had received the IA saying no interview was necessary, and also that neither you nor your spouse/partner has received any letter stating that an interview has been requested. Never hurts to ask the person to double check that they didn't accidentally grab the wrong file.

jacobsdennis

Oct 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-03-2011
Interview........
07-12-2011
Passport Req..
07-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Forum Friends,

Here is our information right from the beginning until landing this afternoon here in Niagara Falls, Ontario...!

Brief Background - COMMON LAW/SAME SEX SPONSORSHIP APPLICATION (Outland-Buffalo, NY)
My partner came to Canada from Philippines as a Temporary Foreign Worker on a 2-year work permit in November 2007. We met online in Edmonton on July 18, 2008 and we moved in together on August 23, 2008. I know it was fast, but we moved in together. It was wasn't until approximately 2 years after that move-in date that I decided to surprise him with telling him I was willing to sponsor him. In December 2010, we began the application process and forwarded it off to CPC Missisauga and the rest of the dates are to the left of this posting...Haha! I totally understand that we could of applied INLAND through Vegreville, AB, but we wanted to go the Buffalo route as it cut the waiting/processing time in half, plus my partner has a 10-year US visitor visa so it would be a nice little 1-week getaway!

On September 23, 2011, my partner received an email stating that "an initial assessment of your application has been completed, and expect to finalize your application without a personal interview. While an interview does not appear necessary at this time, we reserve the right to call you to an interview, should this become necessary at some future stage in processing. That SAME afternoon, we received a letter via Canada Post that was dated September 15, 2011 that an interview was scheduled on December 7, 2011 and that we both would have to attend. Due to the immediate confusion, I scanned the copy of the letter we received in the mail and attached it to an email reply questioning the discrepancy. In less than 3 days, an actual person had emailed me back stating Please be advised that despite previous communication from our office, the officer reviewing your file has decided that an interview is required. The notification you received in the mail is accurate, and an interview has been scheduled for you on December 7, 2011 at 10am. We immediately began planning the trip from Edmonton to Buffalo.

The Interview (December 7, 2011)
The interview was scheduled for 1000 hours and we actually showed up at 0915 hours. We were told by the HSBC Centre security desk that we were early and would not be allowed to check into the consolute until 1000 hours sharp. NOTE: Do NOT show up early, because they won't let you in! We were greeted by a SUPER FRIENDLY lady behind the desk that told us we were number 1 and would be called shortly. At 1010 hours, by partner was called into Interview Booth 4 by IMMIGRATION OFFICER JOHN and here is a summation of the questions that were asked:

1. Where do you live?
2. When/Where did you first meet?
3. What did we do on our first date?
4. When did we move in with each other?
5. Why did you move in together so quickly?
6. Where does your sponsor work?
7. Where did he work before you met?
8. How many years did your partner live in Alberta before you met?
9. Do you have family (other than sponsor) already in Canada?
10. Where does your family members live?
11. What types of future plans have you made?
12. Why have you never wed your current partner or anyone before him?

After their last little discussion on number 12, the Immigration Officer told my partner that the reason the interview was called was because he was concerned that the reason we had moved in with each other so quickly was because he wondered if it was because my partner did not want to have to return to the Philippines. My partner explained that was definitely not the case and at that point, my partner showed up in the waiting area and called me into the booth. The Immigration Officer (who was SUPER friendly, cordial and personable) introduced himself and told me to have a seat. He explained the reason he called for the interview and explained his concern to me. He asked me to convince him "why" we moved into together after less than 2 months of dating. After some discussion, I come to realized that my partner hadn't given him any of our new proof, moreso the 15 + letters of reference we had brought with us. These letters were from friends, the CEO of my company, my department manager, my direct supervisor, my brother, his sister, and a whole lot of friends. After looking at this and with my explanation of why we moved in together so quickly, he looked through the very thick glass that seperated us and said, "I'm satisfied that you've answered my questions and am ready to release your visa." We both INSTANTLY began sobbing like babies (sooooo embarassing). We told us he leave so we could gather our composure and he would print the visa and attach it to my partners passport. The interview ended at 1055 hours! We went into the waiting area and within 5 minutes were called to the desk. The RPRF was already paid and the lady hand us the passport with the visa attached and some other paperwork to give to the border agents.

Landing (Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls, Ontario - 1910 hours)
We arrived at the border and I drove up to the wicket where we were greeted by another friendly official! I told her my partner was landing and she directed us to stop at the office and officially land. We went inside (no one ahead of us) and was called immediately to the desk. The Border Officer asked for the passport with the Immigrant visa and the other paperwork. He didn't ask ANYTHING, but stamped the appropriate things, got my partner to sign in several places, told him to visit a Service Canada Office to change his SIN status from temporary foreign worker to Permanent Resident and said what I had wanted to hear: "WELCOME TO CANADA!" At 1935 hours, we pulled away from Canada Customs and drove to Hard Rock Cafe-Niagara Falls and drank beers and ate wings!!!

Folks, it truly was a PAINLESS process (the interview and landing). The worst part of this whole process was the waiting. I didn't order the notes from my file, so we went blinded but decided as a couple to do it that way. We had NOTHING to hide or coverup and knew that we were going to do fine because the truth always comes out on top!

We will be heading back to Edmonton this Sunday where he will continue to work his current job, but I've already lined him up with a job at my company for almost 3 times the pay, to which we are both EXTREMELY excited!!! If you don't mind, I'd like to stay around and check in once in a while and say hello. If you have any questions that might help you and you don't want to ask on the blog for everyone to see, private message me and I won't mind sharing anything about us or our file. I'm an open book...Haha!!!

Thanks to you ALL for the support and encouragement on here. You'll never know how much I appreciated coming on here and venting, asking questions, and just adding a few cents here and there. There are probably a million typos on here because I was SUPER long-winded but I'm not gonna check for errors because it's past midnight and I'm heading to bed with Canada's NEWEST Permanent Resident, my life partner...!!!!!!!

Cheers and we'll talk to you all again soon!